Talk

Advanced search

Two under two!

(10 Posts)
Mummy247D Wed 12-Apr-17 21:13:15

Hello!
So I'm due my second baby end of Aug and my ds will be 15 months when his little brother will arrive. So I'm constantly hearing people say how hard it will be etc etc! I am not naive and I know it won't be easy but that doesn't mean it won't be very rewarding also 😊 I am feeling slightly nervous though as my ds hasn't been and still isn't the easiest (suffers reflux and is on prescription milk) he is such a lovely little boy and I cannot wait to have double the love!
Anyway sorry to babble on but I'd love to hear people's positive experiences with a similar age gap and when did it start to get easier? Also any tips would also be welcome.
Thank you! X

Liskee Thu 13-Apr-17 14:37:06

18 month age gap here. It's hard work I'm not going to lie! DS1 was still so little really when DS2 came along. But...and this is the good bit....DS2 is now 9 months and they get on brilliantly. DS1 has learnt to share and willingly gives up toys (sometimes!) and DS2 is easily calmed or placated by DS1 simply being there. My DF said to me earlier I bet DS1 doesn't recall a time DS2 wasn't here and I love that idea. I can see how they'll be good playmates as they get older, although I'm sure I'll be referee more often than not too! The small age gap is hard now, but I reckon as they get older it'll be a blessing.

Didiplanthis Sat 15-Apr-17 19:33:46

My dd was 23 months when my twins were born ! Yes it was hard work but perfectly doable. Ignore the doom prophets - they were awful about my situation ( in fact a HV told me i couldn't possibly cope and must buy in help based on nothing other than knowing I would have 3 babies - silly cow !! ) i really enjoyed the first year with them all.

cowssheephens Sat 15-Apr-17 19:37:34

I had 2 under 1!! 10.5 months between them.

It can be a bit difficult but perfectly doable.

It was the best decision we made.

You will be fine OP.

Goodiegumdrops Mon 17-Apr-17 07:08:27

@mummy247D this could be at the end of September! My son will be 19 months when I give birth and he was colicy, didn't sleep and has a dairy allergy (although we are working our way through the milk ladder) and it was bloody difficult. I'm just hoping that because it was such a baptism of fire with DS1, the second will be less stressful. We also be moving into our first house, which is exciting and the area is geared towards families. I was terribly lonely and felt like a failure as I couldn't soothe DS1 and thought friends/colleagues/strangers would judge now I am going out to make sure I get support and meet new people. Each child is different and like the other posters have said, it will be bloody difficult at the beginning but just think...give it 9 months and they will be firm friends.

Good luck, I'll know I will need it too!

Sorry realise I haven't given you any advice - you will be awesome though!

mediocremumatherbest Mon 17-Apr-17 07:14:07

It is hard work but you somehow just go into auto-pilot. I coped with 2 under 2 on my own ... and if I can do it anyone can! Synchronised nap times got me through. And copious amounts of coffee! Find baby groups in your area and force yourself to go even if you really can't face it!

cherryblossomcarpet Mon 17-Apr-17 07:16:30

The only hard bit is the sleep deprivation. That's a killer. Other than that it is fine. Second time round it is much easier as you know what you are doing and don't get stressed in the same way. Also second babies don't get that instant attention that first ones get, so they learn to wait younger. That's just how it is. You can't react instantly the second they shout if you are busy with a toddler. The best part, you are not the centre of their world in the way you are for dc1 as they have a sibling to interact with. Babies are fascinated by toddlers, and want to copy them. My second was talking at 13 months and potty trained by 18 months as they copied their older sibling. They also play together, and really genuinely love each other. Don't under estimate the fighting though grin.

Enjoy, I love the small age gap.

Branleuse Mon 17-Apr-17 07:37:30

theres 11.5 months between my youngest two and it was super hard to begin with but i wouldn't have it any other way now theyre older. Theyre so close

WanderingTrolley1 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:41:52

12 months between mine.

It very nearly broke me. Had to put eldest into childcare. I still haven't recovered.

Dothbutternoparsnips Mon 17-Apr-17 07:46:12

Bigger age gap here but I was told all the time what a nightmare my oldest would be when the baby arrived. (Oldest is "high spirited".)

Oldest lives the youngest and has been nothing but brilliant.

Only advice is to discuss over and over about the new baby from the moment you discuss the baby's arrival. When the new baby arrived we mostly ignored her. All our closest friends and family did the same (just had secret cuddles) then there was a gradual transition.

However the first few weeks are so hard. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now