Talk

Advanced search

2 year old cries and cries until DHL picks him up

(7 Posts)
Rafferty333 Tue 11-Apr-17 10:36:06

My nearly 2 year old has recently (for the last 5 weeks) started to cry (sob and scream) and follow my dh around until he picks him up but when dh isn't there, he's much calmer. Ds is a bit deaf (is finally having grommets fitted next month) so it's a bit tricky trying to explain to him that daddy can't always pick him up because he can't always hear and his speech hasn't developed enough for him to communicate to us what the problem is.
He's much happier/calmer when my husband isn't around but just the mere mention of 'daddy' and he becomes very anxious and emotional and stands by the door screaming for him.
He's just moved up a room at nursery and has started sobbing when left having previously been fine.
It's shredding our nerves and having an adverse effect on our 5 year old son too.
At wits end, any help welcomed!

Rafferty333 Tue 11-Apr-17 10:39:32

OMG...NOT DHL...I meant dh!!!!!
Oh for the ability to edit posts...shock

MackerelOfFact Tue 11-Apr-17 10:48:36

PMSL. grin Sorry, nothing practical to add, I just clicked to see if you really were shipping your DS off with a courier for crying.

I am glad to learn that is not the case!

Rafferty333 Tue 11-Apr-17 11:41:09

Possibly the worst-best typo ever?! shock

offblackeggshell Tue 11-Apr-17 11:44:23

The best typo ever. grin

offblackeggshell Tue 11-Apr-17 11:46:36

Moving rooms at nursery plus not hearing very well might just mean he'll take a little longer than you'd hope to settle. There may be no magic bullet other than time and reassurance.

BertrandRussell Tue 11-Apr-17 11:47:02

Can the come and get my 16 year old after? He's very good with babies.....

But seriously, I think your dh should just pick him up and carry him as much as he possibly can. It's wearing- but I really think that if they are feeling insecure the best possible thing to do is give them (if you can, obviously) exactly the reassurance they need. If your dh can just focus on him when he's home for a while, , and maybe you take a bit of a back seat and focus on your other one, I reckon things will get better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now