Talk

Advanced search

Poo and nappies

(2 Posts)
user1491810905 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:31:28

Hi all, long time lurker here.

My son is 2.5. Had thought we might be ready to start potty training, but how wrong I was!!

For the past 6-8 weeks things have steadily been getting worse with nappies and poos causing all sorts of issues. Basically when he poos in his nappy he does not want it changed. He will scream and cry and we are talking proper stressed out crying, not tantrum crying. He almost shakes with fear the minute I say "do we need to change your nappy?". Once he's changed he's fine, but it is getting worse in that sometimes I can tell he's done a poo because he'll run off sobbing straight away and shouting "no no no no not done a poo!"

I have tried being firm and using the same techniques we do when he throws a tantrum - just saying "we can't play until it's changed, I'll wait until your ready to go upstairs." And I've tried being super gentle and giving lots of reassurance. Neither seem to work.

If I ever mention pants, or the potty, I get the same response.

Any tips? He is such a good boy in every other respect. He's a delight, talks really well and rarely tantrums. But this twice daily battle is taking it out of us and I can see things are getting worse, not better sad

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Apr-17 19:09:35

Sounds tough. It doesn't seem as though he's ready for potty training just yet, but I would make it plain to him that it's either pooing on the potty and maybe get a little reward or having his nappy changed after a poo and make it his choice. I wouldn't mention pants, potties or poos at any other time as tempting as it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now