Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

12 week old colic severe pain every night

(11 Posts)
EbBb1991 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:47:24

My son is almost 12 weeks old, we have always thought he has had trouble with wind but this past week he has been in severe pain and crying a lot of the time. Usually in the evenings he tenses and goes rigid and screams each time it happens. He will begin to calm and relax and then it happens again.
We have him on comfort milk, dr brown anti colic bottles, infacol, started gaviscon too.
Am I missing something? Is there anything else I can do??
I have spent the past 4 days in tears. Thinking I can't do this.

TheConstantCakeEater Tue 04-Apr-17 21:59:33

Can't advise on formula but my son suffered and I cut lactose from my diet which seemed to clear it within a week...the crying sessions got shorter and after about 2 weeks stopped being so upset.

Can you speak to a GP about the milk?

marmiteloversunite Tue 04-Apr-17 22:01:55

Had to reply as my DD was like this. She is 17 now but I still remember the desperation and often used to cry along with her.

We had a battery powered swinging chair which was a life saver. The movement eased her. Used the other things you mentioned.
Used a dummy. Put a pillow under the cot mattress so she was slightly raised when sleeping.

It is a nightmare but it does pass. Just wanted you to know that really. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I promise!!

marmiteloversunite Tue 04-Apr-17 22:56:25

Also had to put her on a soya based baby milk but obviously things have probably moved on in 17 yrs.

EbBb1991 Wed 05-Apr-17 07:25:53

Thank you, yes I spoke to gp about milk he said to try the gaviscon first and then we would try milk, I'm at a point tho where I might just go and buy the milk from the chemist. He issues to settle after the screaming but he's now been up every hour over night too.
Il perhaps buy a swinging seat! Il try anything

eviethehamster Wed 05-Apr-17 07:33:09

Silent reflux. DD2 was like this until I got to a pediatrician who listened to me and referred her to an ENT. She was given renitidine which sorted her out very quickly.

han01uk Wed 05-Apr-17 07:48:50

Try some baby massage in the evenings. You can go to classes or YouTube the colic routine which may help.

marmiteloversunite Wed 05-Apr-17 07:58:14

We had this sort of swing chair (but the 2000 version). It saved my sanity.

Colic is the most soul destroying thing and unless you have lived with it you don't understand. All you want to do is just comfort them and you can't. I really feel for you.

Astro55 Wed 05-Apr-17 08:02:15

You need to raise him up in the cot so he doesn't lie flat

They crying is either the trapped bubbles becoming a bigger one which has no where to go unless raised OR it's acid burn again due to stomach not being below head

Use a towel under the mattress and NeVER lie him flat

FurryElephant Wed 05-Apr-17 08:10:20

Have you tried putting baby in a sling/wrap? They can be an absolute life saver with colicy/reflux babies!

summerholsdreamin Wed 05-Apr-17 10:00:10

Does he have diarrhoea and does he bring up milk a lot ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now