Talk

Advanced search

7 year old daughters anger

(9 Posts)
Mammamooandboo Mon 03-Apr-17 22:21:19

I have a 7 year old. Shes very intelligent and at times i have felt that she is somewhere on the autistic spectrum somewhere due to certain behaviours but it has never been an issue as her challenging behaviour is only ever at home.
She has always had slight anger issue, at the age of 11 months (early) her tantrums consisted of headbutting which we got through.
Recently she has started telling me she wishes she was dead when she is angry, she goes from 0-100 very quickly in terms of anger and only distraction techniques work occasionally. Today she told me she gets so angry she punches herself in the head, im not sure if she means she wants to or if she actually is hitting herself as i have never seen her do it, i also had to move her arm away from her mouth as she was biting it although not enough to mark.
Im so worried so apologies if none of this makes sense but at the age of 10 i began to self harm and my worst nightmare is that my children will go through what i did.
Thanks for any wisdom, advice or experiences anyone has

Mammamooandboo Tue 04-Apr-17 12:22:51

Anyone?

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Tue 04-Apr-17 12:28:06

I have the same kind of issues with my 12yo - she recently told her sister she wanted to break her neck, "just to know what it felt like". My first point of call (before she said this), was the school. GP then referred to Camhs. Yet to have an appointment, because of waiting lists, but if you haven't already, speak to your SenCo at the school, and ask them to refer you to Camhs. Not sure where you are, but we have a Parent Support Service here - you can self refer to them

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Tue 04-Apr-17 12:32:34

Also, if you believe there is something wrong, don't let anybody tell you any different. You will have a long hard fight against the school, and getting the help your DC needs - but keep going. You know your child better than anyone

DesperatelySeeking2016 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:27:50

My 7 year old is like this too. She tells me that she 'hates her life' and everyday is the 'worst day ever'. She gets irrationally angry about everything and cries a lot. It is really grinding me down at the moment but she is impeccable at school so I think they think we are exaggerating. I have pondered splashing out on some private counselling for her as she really seems to struggle to explain what is bothering her and gets really uncomfortable and angry when we try to get her to talk. The problem is we are not made of money and I don't know how I would go about finding the 'right person' for her.

NoLotteryWinYet Tue 04-Apr-17 21:30:27

My dd likes to say she'll kill be when she doesn't get her own way, and once said she wanted to rip my face off! I was alarmed until I noticed a couple of other kids saying the same things at school - they think it sounds cool.

Mammamooandboo Wed 05-Apr-17 09:07:17

It really is alarming isnt it? Shes generally quite well behaved but then gets these short outbursts of extreme anger and can say some quite agressive things. Im a counsellor as well so not sure it would even be any use to her as the anger goes as quickly as it comes

britespark1 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:17:47

Having big anger problems with my 5 yr old DS too at the moment. Occasional outbursts at home but nothing like what they tell me he does at school

MrsKCastle Wed 05-Apr-17 19:24:53

I would speak to both school and your GP and ask for a referral to CAMHS. School may be able to give her some support, but even if not it will help them to be aware of the issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now