Talk

Advanced search

At what age could your child spell out loud ?

(11 Posts)
imjessie Sat 01-Apr-17 10:26:43

Simple things like mummy , their own name , siblings names etc ? Thanks in advance .

Isadora2007 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:30:33

First ds was around 4, First Dd was around 5, second dd 3 and a half, second ds has been doing it since around his 4th birthday.

Spelling out with sounds phonetically not necessarily the correct spelling. So "c a t" but also "b ay b ee" for baby. Hope that makes sense.

BeyondThePage Sat 01-Apr-17 10:35:54

don't remember, did not seem important, so did not count it as a landmark moment.

imjessie Sat 01-Apr-17 10:53:34

It's not important really , my son has special needs and he has started doing it . I'm always being told he has severe learning difficulties . My daughter is much older and very bright so I didn't take any notice of things like this . My son is 5 and in reception so I was just trying to gauge how 'normal ' it is .

imjessie Sat 01-Apr-17 10:58:23

Thank you isadora , that's very helpful . He is remembering the correct spelling . It may be more memorising it rather than working it out but he does phonetically read things and sound them out . He is mostly on verbal which I know sounds really odd but it's true . He is better at making sounds than full words .

imjessie Sat 01-Apr-17 17:16:14

Bump

Witchend Sat 01-Apr-17 20:15:48

I really struggle with it still. I can for very simple words if I think carefully, but anything more complicated and I really can't do it at all.

Isadora2007 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:26:26

Does he have a speech and language therapist? That could be a new form of communication for him. He sounds a bright wee cookie! 😊

imjessie Sat 01-Apr-17 20:28:26

We have everything isadora .. bright , well that's a word that has never been used In a sentence with his name in! ... he has a genetic condition of unknown quantities so who knows but we have worked hard as getting him to where he is and without a diagnosis we believe the world is our oyster !

Isadora2007 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:52:09

Bless him. To be sounding out words and correctly spelling age 5 he does sound bright. It just might not be the "normal" path he is taking.
I am hoping his new skill may help aid communication for him.

imjessie Sat 01-Apr-17 21:12:08

Thank you, he is such an amazing little boy .. ❤

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now