Talk

Advanced search

autism advice

(15 Posts)
user1490981241 Sat 01-Apr-17 01:11:36

Hi

Due to my DS M-chat results my HV is reffering us to have him assessed for risk of autism. He is 20 months old. This wont change anything between us but was curious to other parents experience with autistic toddlers and what to expect? Any advice to help him with his development etc?

Thanks

Brandnewstart Sat 01-Apr-17 01:39:58

He should get SALT (speech and language therapy) if he is diagnosed. I would contact National Austistic Society as most places will have a local branch. The biggest 'help' will probably be having other parents who understand to talk to. You can apply for DLA, you will only be entitled to the care component though because of his age. DON'T fill the form in yourself if you can help it!! Try and get a charity to help as they are complicated and very long.
Learning some basic sign language or makaton may help him be less frustrated when he is trying to tell you something. Also google pecs cards which are picture cards so he can point to things he wants to do/ eat etc. They are can be used to show him what your are going to be going that's day. I know he is only very little but break everything down so one instruction at a time. This is something that will still be helpful when he's older.
You may be assigned a children's disability social worker or health visitor who will be able to help you negotiate everything. You may also be offered a course to go on when he's diagnosed - so this is you can as they are usually very good.
Good luck OP. The main thing to remember is you will have to fight for your son and his needs xx

Brandnewstart Sat 01-Apr-17 01:41:07

Apologies for the typos blush

BackforGood Sat 01-Apr-17 01:43:58

Do you mean what to expect during the assessment procedure ?

Brandnewstart Sat 01-Apr-17 15:52:54

Whoops sorry if you meant what to expect at assessment and I have given you loads of info. I have probably overwhelmed you x

user1490981241 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:06:56

Thankyou so much for all the information! I just want advice and as much information as possible! Im in north east of scotland and there are very large referal waiting lists so just doing research and trying to prepare for whats next through assessment and if he is autistic things i can do to support and care for his needs the best way possible.

I just thought it would be best to speak to other parents rather than a random page on google!

Thank you so much for your reply

ilovetocook Sat 01-Apr-17 20:11:36

We just had our 1st assessment. I contacted hv after having concerns and doing a m-chat at home. He has just turned 2 , this week and due to the results we are going via the under 3 pathway for a diagnosis. I don't know much else yet but we are in Fife. I've heard it can be a long process but we seem to have gotten lucky.

user1490981241 Sat 01-Apr-17 23:37:03

ilovetocook- Im so happy you are on the right track, i know for some its a years long process :/ atleast you are getting somewhere! Im in Elgin so its hectic getting appointments! How long did it take for your appointment to come through if you dont mind me asking?

ilovetocook Sun 02-Apr-17 12:17:45

From speaking to hv and her referral to my home visit was about 2 months , a week after that we had the assessment. Due to Easter the next meeting isn't till 20th of thus month. I've been told once I sign the consent form at the meeting it shouldn't take more than 6 months to get diagnosis.

user1490981241 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:05:00

Ok thankyou! Hope all goes well.

Brandnewstart Mon 03-Apr-17 10:20:39

Also see if you have a local Carers group - I work for one as a parent carer support worker. Look on Carers Trust x

user1490981241 Mon 03-Apr-17 12:47:02

I will do thankyou hun x

sophiewaterworth111 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:36:16

Am just wanting some advice my son who will be 3 in december dosent talk hates social situaions dosent like nursery gets stressed out with the tinyes littlw things wont look anyone in the eye he has an attacks people ! Got aponitment on augest to be asseted his behaviour is getting worse with coping in situiatons its got to the ponit where he wont even want to be close to me or his dad and hes had to go to a new nursery as they couldnt cope with him they kept telling me not to take him back!!! Is there any one who is going through this who knows how i can speed things up or any advise hes only going to nursery for 15mins!! I just want to help him cope in situations better as its actually breaking my heart

user1490981241 Thu 06-Apr-17 23:07:03

My nearly 2 year old ds was like that with nursery too, he doesnt go now as i have left uni so he has little play groups and M&T groups and hates them. He seemed to calm down after about a month as the nursery allowed me to stay in with him for half an hour until he gets comfortable and off my knee to play and i snuck off and he didnt give it a second thought. After about a week of this he would go into the room without so much of a hug and kiss haha

Pansiesandredrosesandmarigolds Fri 07-Apr-17 15:15:45

Sophie,

I've heard the 'Explosive Child' book recommended a lot.

When you say your child doesn't talk - do you mean he doesn't talk at all?

Again, I've heard a book called 'It takes two to talk' by Hanen recommended. Have you tried makaton signing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now