Talk

Advanced search

best age for potty training?

(6 Posts)
user1490981241 Fri 31-Mar-17 19:18:31

Hi just curious to what is the best time to start potty training before moving to the toilet training? I know everyone is different but my son seems ready, he has very good control and tells me if he has 'weewee' or 'stinkyd' his nappy. Hes 20 months, is this too young to try him with a potty a few times a day?

Thanks smile

user1490981241 Fri 31-Mar-17 19:24:02

And by having co trol i mean i can leave him without a nappy and he will not do the toilet and he will pull on his 'toodle' and say weewee or hold his bum and say stinky until i put a nappy on him then he releives himself haha.

dementedpixie Fri 31-Mar-17 19:24:20

Thats when I started with ds and he was day trained by age 2 (he showed signs of being ready). Dd was 2 and a half when she was day trained (She was my first child)

purplecoathanger Fri 31-Mar-17 19:26:29

All children are different. If they are showing signs of control then go for it.

user1490981241 Fri 31-Mar-17 19:37:28

How would you suggest starting dementedpixie? Should i maybe just try sitting him on it with his nappy on to get used to it then maybe after his bath before getting dressed? Not sure where to start! Thanks

skankingpiglet Fri 31-Mar-17 23:35:37

We started DD1 by sitting her on the potty each night before her bath. We made it fun and sang songs etc whilst she sat on it, praising any 'successes'. She was 16mo. By 21mo she was asking to using it regularly and we switched to pull ups (had used cloth up to then) to catch accidents but make for quicker runs to the potty. By 2yo she was fully day trained, although we've had a couple of regressions due to DD2's arrival and some poo withholding after a bout of constipation. We just went with what she wanted, although I was keen to do away with washing nappies!

If you think he's ready just give it a go and see what happens. It's not a decision that's once made you're stuck with it, you can revert back to nappies if necessary. 20mo isn't too young IMO, and very average (maybe even a bit late) by the standards of the pre-disposables age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now