Talk

Advanced search

My 6 year old confuses me

(4 Posts)
anxietyrus Thu 30-Mar-17 23:38:49

rather he is confused?

Every other night or so just as he is drifting off to sleep he comes to speak to me upset about something that vaguely happened how he describes it or didn't happen at all.

An example for those who I may now have confused.
Tonight he came to me upset because I have previously walked away from him when at the park (we are talking 12 months ago) when he refused to continue walking. I'm not the first or last to do this, you know the situation where you just continue hoping they eventually run to you which is exactly what he did.

He went into it with such raw emotion like it had only just happened.

He's also gone apeshit recently when he was convinced I had used his tablet. It took hours to calm him down.

My questions:
Is this normal?
What on earth is going on?

KanyesVest Fri 31-Mar-17 00:01:45

My answers are I don't know and I don't know, but dd is coming up to 7 and can get very crossed wires about things. She regularly and vividly recalls things I've said/done/agreed, but in the wrong context and gets very upset and insistent that I'm wrong.

I would guess given your son is sleepy, his subconscious is trying to start processing and understand things and ends up conflating events and emotions, eg he felt alone or a bit scared about something today which triggered the park memory but he doesn't separate the events as the emotional feeling is the same?

RiverdaleJughead Fri 31-Mar-17 01:00:23

He sounds anxious . I used to do this because I hated the feeling of guilt or fear( still do) and sometimes things resurface because of something similar or minorly similar to an event and I used to have to run to my mum and tell her to get rid of the feeling. I don't know what to suggest as now my feelings of that kind I always tell my DP ... sorry I can't help. Do you by any chance when discovering he's done something wrong say ' I don't mind as long as you tell me the truth' or ' it will be worse if you lie' or else ' never keep anything from me' ? Because this kind of phrasing has influenced me to never be okay about keeping anything from my most loved people.

anxietyrus Fri 31-Mar-17 07:53:37

Thank you for both of your thoughts.

Kanye your daughter sounds very similar to my son.

Riverdale I haven't ever had to say anything like that to him before, he tells me EVERYTHING. when he has told me something he has done wrong we talk through it. I'm not one to shout or make him feel bad except when I'm exhausted or he has pushed and pushed which is very rare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now