Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My 17th month old keeps dunking his face in the bath and choking

(14 Posts)
Pennyfitzgerald91 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:51:15

Hey, can someone help me. Recently my son has started dunking his face in the bath as if he is trying to drink the water. I grab him quickly but he inhales some water, coughs for a few seconds and then smiles and does it again like it's fun! Why is he doing is? It's really worrying me

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Mar-17 19:53:40

They do odd things like this sometimes. Try not to make a fuss and hopefully he'll stop soon.

NanooCov Thu 30-Mar-17 20:39:38

Teach him to blow bubbles instead so he doesn't suck the water in? We did his with my son (husband would essentially stick his face in the bath and model) and son is an expert bubble blower now. Though he also drinks the bath water like a manly dog so not foolproof.

NanooCov Thu 30-Mar-17 20:41:36

Manky not manly!

NanooCov Thu 30-Mar-17 20:41:36

Manky not manly!

PerspicaciaTick Thu 30-Mar-17 20:45:01

He's enjoying himself, the bubble blowing idea is good (it's one of the first things you teach them to do in a swimming pool). It is brilliant he is so confident getting his face wet.

Ellieboolou27 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:49:11

My 19 month old still does this! She started about 17 months too so I thought she was just a bit odd grin
She used to eat all the bubbles too so had to stop putting them in smile
It's a phase a bloody long one in my case

Pennyfitzgerald91 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:57:53

Thank you for all your posts, I was getting pretty worried and ofcourse as you do i googled it and horrible things about dry drowning came up, which scared the sh#t out of me. The bubble blowing is a great idea smile

ForTheSakeOfFuck Thu 30-Mar-17 21:03:44

DS(3) used to deliberately stick his fingers down his throat and gag himself. He thought it was hilarious. More recently he likes to try to tough his eye with his finger and laughs when his lid automatically blinks and gets in the way. hmm I just think they find what their bodies do deeply entertaining.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Mar-17 21:24:01

Forthesake I had one of those too. Got sick of saying "your gag reflex isn't a toy" grin

Loyly Thu 30-Mar-17 21:26:25

your gag reflex isn't a toy
grin

Ohyesiam Thu 30-Mar-17 22:10:55

My son used to eat sand on the beach. My mil remarked that he'd only do that once.
He went on for years. Used to make him gag and his eyes water.

NanooCov Fri 31-Mar-17 08:15:26

Ohyesiam - mine does that too. Changing a nappy full of sand when it came through the other end is an experience 🤢

user1490981241 Fri 31-Mar-17 19:00:14

My son does this too, hes done it since about 15 months when he was in the big bath without his seat, he found it hysterical and also likes to pour his jug over his face hes now 20 months :s i guess its just their way of learning about water! As long as your within arms reach i wouldnt worry too much! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now