We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Books for dads on toddler parenting?

(4 Posts)
Whatapickle78 Wed 29-Mar-17 08:36:20

Hello - can anyone recommend any books on toddlers that their DPs have found useful?
My DH is currently doing more parenting of our DD (who is 26 months) than usual, and understandably, he's not keen to hear the basics of parenting from me as I yell them from bed where I'm mostly now feeding our newborn...

It's leading to a lot of arguments about how to communicate with a toddler. E.g. This morning he was explaining to her what a 'promise' was, in the context of promising not to hit her baby brother. She is 2 FFS! She was just thoroughly confused...

Is there anything I could give him to read about what 2 year olds do/don't understand and how best to set boundaries/communicate?

What we need is the basics really, but anything that's specifically written for/by dads would be amazing.

Thank you!!

JonesyAndTheSalad Thu 30-Mar-17 00:49:17

This is not a "Dad thing" OP. It really, really isn't. It's a "your partner thing".
His gender is nothing to do with his parenting ability or his ability to think outside the box.

Most people can understand that toddlers have limited capacity. Any parenting book will do if he's that ignorant of a toddler's ability to reason.

squizita Thu 30-Mar-17 15:33:39

Get a parenting book, any book, not a "dad" book. He is not the child, he can read a parenting book that isn't for "daddies".

If he can't parent, he needs to be open to being told what to do frankly.

The majority of fathers can parent (as in feed, wash, monitor/praise/discipline appropriately) to at least a basic lesson.

HeyMicky Thu 30-Mar-17 15:47:10

Agree this doesn't need to be specifically for dads.

I'd suggest 'How to talk so little kids will listen' - there is also one for older children but this one is specifically about 2-5 year olds. It's arm-chewingly twee and over written but if you can get past that then the basic principles are very good. Lots of excellent tips to gain compliance and negotiate with toddlers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now