Talk

Advanced search

2 year old sudden stutter

(7 Posts)
Woozle91 Tue 28-Mar-17 11:17:38

My little boy has over night developed a stutter. He will be 3 mid April. His speech has developed as usual throughout. How ever he's always developed in block and suddenly. For example there was no sign of him walking then one day he took 4 steps, same with rolling over he suddenly rolled everywhere, his speech was limited then all of a sudden he came out with 30 plus words. I have read that stuttering can be common but do I need to worry yet? Any advice please or someone who has been in a similar situation. Thank you in advance.smile

tessiebear4 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:28:06

My first child had a stutter on and off from 2.5 to about 4 and eventually it just went away. It's really common

smearedinfood Tue 28-Mar-17 15:38:52

Could he just be making sure you wait until he finishes what he wants to communicate.

SilverLinings2014 Tue 28-Mar-17 19:25:01

It's quite common op. Try not to worry and ignore I as much as you can. If you draw attention to it, or if he thinks it's an issue it'll become one

HopeClearwater Tue 28-Mar-17 19:29:16

My child started at 3, basically overnight. Ten years and some SALT later, he still stammers as badly as ever.

Woozle91 Tue 04-Apr-17 11:20:33

Thank you for your help I feel better for hearing from yourselves. grin

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 04-Apr-17 11:27:00

It happened to us, same age, came on overnight. Especially struggled with the letter m (so mama was a problem). I spoke to a speech therapist and was advised it's common with children where their brain is working faster than their mouth, and to wait it out to see if it passed. After six months it was gone; as except very occasional moments of excitement

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now