Talk

Advanced search

Potty training

(3 Posts)
verytiredmummy1 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:34:52

I'm about to start potty training my just turned two year old.

Has anyone got any advice for me?

Myu5ername Tue 28-Mar-17 06:04:29

Rome wasn't built in a day.

After half an hour of potty training you might want to give up lol. But it all clicks into place for them quicker than you'd imagine but at the time it can feel like forever when you're moping up pee non stop.
We spent the entire first day of potty training at home and close to the potty. It wasn't until the 4th or 5th pee did we manage it in potty.

We used treats to bribe DD to the potty - she got a treat for every pee and poo. I'd recommend stickers as sweets is just making a rod for your own back - I speak from experience!

I also kept my baby naked for most of that first day to minimise mess and endless washings. By day 2 she was wearing pants and again stayed at home as much as we could - if we had to go out we put a pull up on. Many people say not to use pull ups and I agree with the the theory of not using them but they worked for us and caused no confusion with my DD.

By day 3, my DD Had pretty much got hang of it. You may still have the odd accident here and there for months to come mind you.

I also startednl using a toilet seat as soon as DD was able to request to go to toilet.

Also pre commencing of potty training - have the potty lying out - let toddler sit on it and know it's nothing to fear and do same with toilet seat. My DD used to sit on potty to watch tv prior to potty training!!

Hope that's made some sort of sense and helps.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 28-Mar-17 18:59:32

Yes, get this book smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now