Talk

Advanced search

Johansen IAS - your experience

(5 Posts)
infinite Sun 26-Mar-17 11:14:53

Hi,

We just started trying Johansen IAS for DD. Just wonder in practice, how long it would start seeing a difference...

The lady we saw said it depends on individual and certainly didn't want to promise anything misleading. If you have tried this therapy, in your experience, how long did it take to show improvement? And from what aspect? At which level?

The lady also said it's ok even if DD falls asleep while listening. We found this a bit dubious, as she actually said DD could do this while doing other activities as long as there's no TV. But later on, I found a website introducing this therapy mentioning no talking or speaking either. In your experience, could it still work if the little one falls asleep while listening?

How loud you've turned up the volume? As she complains it's too loud sometimes, we turned it down and down and down, in the end, I tried it on, I could barely heard much if following the volume she's happy with.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Mar-17 19:07:34

What is it?

Ferguson Sun 26-Mar-17 20:06:02

Why did you feel you needed to do it with DD, and how old is she?

If a baby is talked to, from birth, including WHISPERING to him/her, I would have thought that would have provided enough stimulation. If, on the other hand, there is always radio/TV on so the child is constantly bombarded with sound (which, when they are tiny they cannot make sense of) including in the car, then they will have sensory-overload, and not LEARN how to listen to voices, music, and natural sounds.

I have always believed it is just because of this CONSTANT background of 'music' (including in shops, which I always avoid) that today's children CANNOT listen or concentrate, hence their inability to behave or learn in nursery, school, or college.

{I have just had a listen to a sample of the music, and am not very impressed; I would be interested to know what it costs, but - of course - the website doesn't reveal that.}

infinite Sun 26-Mar-17 21:26:54

Hi, JiltedJohnsJulie, it's a sound therapy for auditory processing disorder. Using gentle sound to stimulate the brain.

Hi, Ferguson, I can't be sure if it would work for her, but with all what APD as the kind of disorder describes, I KNOW I have it and it made me struggle for years in social life/at home/ at work until now. I can hear, but I can't hear. And this disorder CAN be genetically inherited. That's why we decided to give it a try. DD is 4 years old, but her speech is probably only on par with a 2.5 years old. We've tried lots of things and this therapy is the latest hope.

Ferguson Mon 27-Mar-17 21:17:30

Great Ormond Street Hospital has an Audiological department, and I give a link to it:

www.gosh.nhs.uk/medical-information-0/clinical-specialties/audiological-medicine-information-parents-and-visitors

I assume you have tried things yourselves, such as I suggested. Our DS has very good listening skills because we did not have constant noise or music in the house. He started 'playing' on our Yamaha organ from the age of two, and went on to play properly from five or six; he did Music 'A' level, and played saxophone in the County jazz orchestra.

You probably know that academic success and a study of music often go together. But obviously, if DD does really have a processing disorder, then the route you are considering is worth trying. I just wonder though, if there might be a less expensive DIY approach, if the brain can be 'trained' to overcome the condition. The GOSH site has various links you may find helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now