Talk

Advanced search

Baby acting oddly

(151 Posts)
Kitty39 Fri 24-Mar-17 21:48:07

I've had issues with my DS for awhile and have posted previously, in the past he's cried 8 hours a day, none stop.

after his vaccines he calmed down for several days. Stopped crying and would whine if he wanted something, but now he's back to crying.

He hardly eats or sleeps. 7pm till 4am he wakes every hour, then at 4am is awake for two hours and settles again at 6 but then wakes for the day at 7-8. He doesn't nap for more than 20 minutes.
He hardly eats, it's a struggle getting him to eat, he screams if I try to fed him. I can leave him for 2/3 hours or more and he still won't eat, after awhile I sit down with him wiggling about and get him to eat.

He has 'episodes'. He'll cry if moved, if talked to, if anything at all changes he cries. If he settles on my shoulder and I take his hand off my hair, he will cry, touch his hand, cries, talk to him, cries.
I can put him in his cot to settle but again he cries if moved from his cot to pram.
I put a blanket on him when he sleeps and even this upsets him!

I can't go out at all as he screams none stop.

He's been to the doctors and a&e several times, I've been told I'm 'feeding him wrong', 'it's a cold', 'reflux issues', 'colic' and 'he's fine!' I've tried everything they've said and the medicine they said to give him but still nothing.

Everything makes him cry, nothing makes him happy.

notapizzaeater Fri 24-Mar-17 21:50:24

Have they ruled out milk allergy ?

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Fri 24-Mar-17 21:52:33

Try a cranio sacral therapist, I've known a couple of mums who found this made a big difference.

Kitty39 Fri 24-Mar-17 21:53:49

They refuse to test him for it and I can't take him back since I can't take him out at all, getting him dressed is a struggle with his crying.

Girlsworld92 Fri 24-Mar-17 21:56:21

How old is your Lo? This sounds really tough on all of you. Sounds like he's in pain for some reason sad

Kitty39 Fri 24-Mar-17 21:57:43

If I'm honest I've lost count of the weeks, too little sleep, I think he's 10 weeks this weekend.

Kitty39 Fri 24-Mar-17 21:59:02

Also we've tried giving him calpol, as suggested by a HV and that changed nothing.

Girlsworld92 Fri 24-Mar-17 22:01:40

My daughter wouldn't settle properly after feeds until about 12 weeks and she was really bad at night but yours sounds much worse. I agree it's worth looking at alternative treatments such as suggested above. I found a wedge pillow helped my daughter a lot. Hope it gets sorted soon x

gfw01 Fri 24-Mar-17 22:01:58

So LO is eating very little? What's nappy output like? Babies cry as it's their way of communicated but neither should they be crying all the time. Hungry or in pain. I would be pushing the doctors for further advice and investigation.

Although mine wasn't as extreme, cranial osteopathy really really worked for my LO. The first two appointments were horrendous as he didn't respond straight away but the osteopath did little and often. And it really calmed him down and chilled him out. If it's a struggle going out, consider getting a home visit.

And lastly...big hugs. It's hard when you don't know what's wrong or what to do. X

SleepFreeZone Fri 24-Mar-17 22:02:17

Sounds similar to my DS at that age. I put it down to colic and reflux. Have you tried infacol?

ninenicknames Fri 24-Mar-17 22:03:05

Babies do cry. My DS was exactly the same.

Are you BF or formula?

He is still very little. Google the 234 routine, this really helped me but not until he was 5 months.

Have you got a sling? This was a life saver for me

Arriettyborrower Fri 24-Mar-17 22:05:52

That sounds really, really hard. I had a very difficult baby, I quite literally could not do a thing for months and months on end other than tend to his every need. It was the hardest time of my life (I have 4 dc)
I don't have any real advice, but remember how alone I felt - you are not alone, you really are not.
I just held on to the fact/hope that he wouldnt always be like this, and he wasn't.
Sending you love x

Kitty39 Fri 24-Mar-17 22:10:06

I've tried infacol, gripe water, ranitidine, gaviscon, anti reflux formula, breast feeding, normal formula (which is what he has now, along with gaviscon).

He poops once a day, can't tell you how often he pees.

I've tried routines, he won't have it at all. Tried the EASY routine but it didn't help or work.

Waterlemon Fri 24-Mar-17 22:14:33

What are his poos like?

Kitty39 Fri 24-Mar-17 22:16:45

They are a bit darker than mustard, not hard but not very soft, I think they are normal.

mycavitiesareempty Fri 24-Mar-17 22:19:20

Is he putting on weight and growing OK?

It sounds very very tough.

seven201 Fri 24-Mar-17 22:21:05

So you haven't tried milk free formula? My dd has cmpa and spent most of the day and night screaming. They don't test for it, you just have to try milk free formula e.g. Nutramigen or neocate. Both can be prescribed or bought (expensive). There are also other reflux meds as those ones don't work for all babies. I too hated leaving the house.

Kitty39 Fri 24-Mar-17 22:21:49

He was 6+ pounds at birth, at his 6 week check he was 9.

I've not had him weighed since, I can't take him to the doctors to be weighed and have nothing here to weigh him.

Kitty39 Fri 24-Mar-17 22:23:58

I've not tried milk free formula, as far as I know it needs to be prescribed.
If I see any in the store when/if I get out soon I'll buy it and give it a go.

Ohyesiam Fri 24-Mar-17 22:28:06

Sound so hard, you have all my sympathy. Find a cranio sacral therapist, worked wonders for my first.

3boys3dogshelp Fri 24-Mar-17 22:31:36

Oh Kitty that sounds so hard. My ds was similar - he has severe CMPI and soya intolerance. If you don't want to use formula/go back to GP you could continue breastfeeding but cut all dairy and soya out of your diet. Obv not for very long without medical advice but just for a few days. I had to cut absolutely everything out, ie check labels for absolutely no milk in the ingredients list, but he was noticeably more settled within a few days. Not perfect but much happier than he had been.
He also had mild reflux, green poos intermittently and red rash around his anus. His growth was ok but he looked skinny to me compared to his siblings as babies.
It feels like forever now but he was a fab toddler and is an absolute joy to be around now he is 3. You will get there. I know it's difficult when you're exhausted but keep pushing for help, you both deserve it.

3boys3dogshelp Fri 24-Mar-17 22:32:19

You can't buy milk free formula without a prescription unfortunately.

AradiasDaughter Fri 24-Mar-17 22:32:43

Sorry you're going through this. It's like reading about my (now) 20 month old son. He was exactly the same. I ended up crying on a dr demanding milk free formula (after exhausting every other avenue) or I was putting him up for adoption (I wasn't joking- I didn't realise at the time I had PND as well). They gave me nutrimagen and omfg within 48 hours he was a different baby.
The thing with my son was that he put loads of weight on (rare in CMPA babies) because he was trying to soothe his tummy. Which then only made it worse. He went from 75th percentile to above the 99th within 3 weeks. It was bloody scary. He was monitored at the hospital by the paediatrician and had his own dietician at the GP as well. He has been able to take milk products again since 9 months old and hasn't had any other allergy since. Please go back to your Dr. I know it's hard but please stand your ground. Read up on CMPA allergy and see if it fits.

AradiasDaughter Fri 24-Mar-17 22:33:33

You can 3boys- off amazon but it's £26 upwards for a smaller than normal tin of formula

Sontagsleere Fri 24-Mar-17 22:41:02

I joined Mumsnet after lurking for ages just to post to you. You are sleep deprived and need some help. This is not normal. Something is up. Go back to basics- how was delivery? Traumatic? Cranio / experienced with babies osteo may help. Nappies - what are they like? You said poop is normal.....my first thought was that it may well be milk allergy. If Baba is like this from birth more likely to be lactose intolerant or could be a milk protein intolerance ( they are different things). If this is your first baby I do feel desperately sad for you as it should not be like this. It is so hard to get a plan together when you are literally surviving hour to hour with a screaming baby. Wealth of advice on here- keep posting and asking and try to eliminate milk allergy first would be my first piece of advice. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now