Talk

Advanced search

8 year old refusing to engage in piano lessons

(5 Posts)
Jokat Wed 22-Mar-17 22:50:32

My 8 year old started piano lessons last September. She has mild cerebral palsy and finds isolated finger movements more challenging than some of her neurotypical peers. Despite this, she has enjoyed her lessons tremendously and made huge progress. However, since the February school holidays she's hardly ever sat down to play (which she used to do all the time, several times a day without me asking her to) and the last two times has thrown major strops during her lesson. Today, for instance, she stormed out of the room shouting it is too hard and she doesn't want to have lessons any more. She was really rude to her teacher, who thankfully doesn't take it to heart.
We don't want to have to force her to carry on. At the same time, the lessons are sooo beneficial to her from a therapeutical point of view that I don't want to give it up just because she's being a bit of a madam at the moment. What would you do???

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 22-Mar-17 22:54:24

I'd let her give up the lessons but if you have a piano in the house, allow her to continue developing herself.

I didn't enjoy lessons but enjoyed playing for fun. I don't care much about playing perfectly, or finger placements - just the making music part. Perhaps she is the same?

A summer off won't do her any harm and you can all re-evaluate after a break.

christinarossetti Wed 22-Mar-17 23:00:07

I would ask the teacher to make the lessons easier for a while. Focus on her enjoying it again rather than learning anything new.

ZombieApocalips Thu 23-Mar-17 18:24:26

Like school, I think it's common to have plateaus in achievement/enthusiasm for previously enjoyed lessons.
I would ask the teacher if it would be possible to slow down or be stretched sideways for a while to get her confidence back.

Jokat Thu 23-Mar-17 18:53:37

Great advice, thank you. I won't give up yet but try and get the teacher to make it a bit less progress orientated and more fun for a little while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now