Talk

Advanced search

Discipline tactics for 2.5 year old

(5 Posts)
ChorusLine69 Sat 18-Mar-17 20:52:09

We have a 2.5 year old who is a lively, energetic boy who has been increasingly pushing boundaries. Have been using a step when he does something such as hit his little sister ( 7 months) and will leave him there for a minute or so before explaining what he's done and then he apologises. I'm not sure how effective it is as a punishment , and us there anything else that I could try at this age? Taking toys away? I am trying as much as possible to just focus on good behaviour and ignore bad ( unless it's dangerous or violent!) but my DH thinks we need tougher discipline as DS doesn't listen to what we say, but surely some of this is just his age? I don't want to take all the joy out of parenting but I know they need boundaries of course...
DH shouts (rarely) when he gets frustrated but he makes DS cry as it can be quite shocking when he loses his temper and I don't think this is a good method of parenting - he says that sometimes it's the only way he will listen but I hate seeing him upset like this.

Sorry for the very waffly post, I guess I'm just after some reassurance that it does improve and some advice for tactics or even a decent book/advice to look up - thank you!

isthistoonosy Sat 18-Mar-17 21:16:14

Try to.give rewards fir good behaviour instead and his own baby to look after. Include him with the baby so he feels a little responsible for her well being.

We've done lots of 'say sorry' (they can talk much yet) and make it better (kisses) and when we can stop and talk about tantrums - i know you want to X, bit now its bed time we will do X when we wake up.

Ove heard good stuff about a-ha parenting

Believeitornot Sat 18-Mar-17 21:20:32

Show him what to do. My ds was 2.2 when dd was born. He went through a tough stage once dd got more active with hitting. He probably felt left out.

There's the risk that you treat him older than he really is. He's so so little and not fully in charge of his responses. Still so very impulsive (when your dd is the same age you might realise just how young 2 is!)

Keep any telling offs short and to the point. Try and involve him more but also make sure you "tell" dd off as well if she grabs ds's stuff etc etc.

isthistoonosy Sat 18-Mar-17 21:31:55

Oh yh we made dd share and take turns from about 5 months. She would bring books for ds etc

WeAreStars Tue 21-Mar-17 20:56:36

Toddler Calm by Sarah Ockwell Smith is an excellent book which I'm sure would help you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now