Talk

Advanced search

Terrible twos or something more?

(3 Posts)
Tashacomp91 Fri 17-Mar-17 20:57:50

My daughter has always had little patience and a short fuse but recently, her tantrums have gotten much worse. They can last for ages - I know they always seem like they've been screaming for hour when it's only been minutes but it's definitely exceeding 30 minutes. She'll head butt things, kick, throw but more worryingly she will pull her hair, bite her self and hit her self. You can see when she's getting angry because she'll put her hands behind her ears. She turned two in January so we had been experiencing strops/ trantrums for a while but they really do seem to be getting worse. There's no talking her around either. We've got her 2.5 year check up next month and we will be bringing it up but I just wanted to know if this is normal or not? Oh and about 3 weeks ago she gave up the dummy? Any help would be great!

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Sun 26-Mar-17 23:26:16

How do you react when she has these episodes? My DD (2.2) has had a couple of extreme tantrums and we found letting her get on with it helpful providing she couldn't hurt her self. I also got sat down on the floor (not too close mind) and would say a few times "come and give me a cuddle when you're ready". But I have also heard of some mums successfully cuddling/restraining them and talking calmly or deep breathing.

She did go through a headbutt the floor phase as well but I guess once she found out that it was painful it eventually stopped. I would cuddle and soothe her and tell her that she shouldn't do that because it will hurt and make her sad and upset.

Now she does the usual throw herself to the ground type tantrums and admittedly dummies do help! Has it got worst since removing the dummy?

I am also well aware that she is still very young so plenty of time for extreme tantrums to creep up again and reach a whole new level!

Sorry I couldn't be of much help but hopefully you will get some more responses!

flowerscake

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Sun 26-Mar-17 23:26:54

Perhaps you should write this in the Parenting thread? Much more traffic there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now