Talk

Advanced search

Antisocial 8mo

(3 Posts)
Lm604 Fri 17-Mar-17 16:10:05

My 8mo seems dislike being around people other than me and my husband. He cries when we go to a 30 minute story and song session with other moms and babies, and when people come over, he cries. He will be like this whether he is well-rested, tired, when I hold him to get acclimatized to the situation and put him down, well fed, diapered, etc. He will sometimes growl at strangers who smile and talk to him while he is in his stroller!

It makes me feel a little isolated since I know he will scream when we go to mom and tot events and I'm hoping this is something he will grow out of.

Are there any moms out there with children that are/were like this? And how are they now?

Thank you for reading!

YouMeddlingKids Sat 18-Mar-17 09:16:44

Sounds like my ds! All through babyhood I'd find myself telling strangers he was over tired (even if he'd just had a nap!) as when they smiled at him he'd start howling! At 15 months he's still really clingy when out, I can take him to groups but have to keep right next to him/ hold him and can't just expect him to toddle off in his own to play. He's happier to interact with others as long as I've got him though. He'll get there! Is your ds happy in groups until you put him down? If so maybe just take it at his pace, keep hold of him and persevere, at least it gets you out of the house.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:25:42

That does sound isolating. sad

Maybe it is worth picking one group you would really like to go to and persevering at getting him comfortable there. Maybe start by just going for 10 minutes and not expecting him to interact with anyone. then increase it gradually. Once you know some people at the group you could explain what you are doing and hopefully they will be supportive too. Maybe have an especially exciting toy that he only has at the group so he learns to associate it with something he likes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now