Talk

Advanced search

How to stop biting????

(4 Posts)
babybrainismyexcuseforlife Fri 17-Mar-17 15:46:21

My 16 month old is starting to bite, he bit me once before but really thought nothing of it but these last few weeks he seems to be attempting to bite quite a lot, mainly in temper! He has bit his own hand in temper leaving a mark BUT it's not always in temper as he has just bit my leg for no reason! I don't know how to stop him doing this as telling him no has absolutely no effect on him!

NuttyCasey Mon 20-Mar-17 13:05:28

I think you'll find most parents suffer with going through this stage! My 22 month old went through the same thing at about 18 months! They do grow out of it (eventually) but honestly the thing I found most effective is ignoring it!

My little boy used to bite people on the leg (he did bite himself once out of frustration!) and I most definitely know how much it hurts!!!! But as soon as you react, they know they're getting your attention! And so learn that the best way to get your attention is biting you. So we stopped giving him the attention, made him think it was a pointless move and after a couple of days he all but stopped!

Still bites the sofa on occasion, but as long as it's not people I don't mind so much!!!

Hope this helps!

NC543212345 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:07:50

It will go and a new phase will come along op, try not to stress.
Both of mine have done it. I used to show them it hurt me, tell them it was a bad thing and then move on. He'll soon get bored of it.

EsmesBees Mon 20-Mar-17 13:09:09

My 2 year old is a biter. Not at home but other children at nursery. So I obviously couldn't ignore it. I bought her a book called 'Doodle Bites' which is all about how biting makes your friends sad, and read it lots. She's got a lot better now she can communicate more, I think it was mainly out of frustration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now