Talk

Advanced search

Stop breastfeeding in day or night first?

(7 Posts)
rebeccaroskellthomas Fri 17-Mar-17 09:14:33

My DD is 16 months old and I want to continue breastfeeding until she is 2 as long as everything is still going well. I had it in my head that at 18 months I'd like to stop breastfeeding in the day and just do morning and night but she still feeds in the night as well. Should I be doing it the other way around? Night wean her and then drop the day time feeds?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Fri 17-Mar-17 09:18:35

Have you tried 'don't offer, don't refuse' . I did this with DD 16m. Apart from illness she has a brief night feed around 2am, a long morning feed around 6.30am, and a brief afternoon feed about 4pm. She set this routine, I just went with her flow.

rebeccaroskellthomas Fri 17-Mar-17 09:28:06

Thank you, I'll give this a go. I am definitely offering her it more than she asks for it.

MissRainbowBrite Fri 17-Mar-17 09:35:47

Try night weaning, it might make you feel happier about daytime feeds. I followed Jay Gordon's method with DD at a similar age and it worked really well. Had a couple of nights where she was very cross when no boob was forthcoming but it was short lived.

rebeccaroskellthomas Fri 17-Mar-17 09:41:23

Can you give me a quick outline of what you did MissRainbowBrite? I'd really appreciate it!

MissRainbowBrite Fri 17-Mar-17 09:51:16

If you google Jay Gordon night weaning it'll give you a full run down of it but I'll try and remember the basics. DD is now 5 so it was a while ago.
You pick your most valuable 7 hours of sleep where you won't offer boob and stick to it. Outside of those hours then you can still offer but once you decide on your times then you have to be quite tough and stick to it. All other comfort can be offered and you may have to enlist your DP with this as obviously they don't have boobs so can't give it.
I think I picked from 11 til 6, if you want to you can start with a slightly shorter period and extend it but at 16-18 months then you can explain what's happening and they will have some understanding. Hope that explains a bit, there are also lots of threads about it on here if you do a search for them. Good luck.

rebeccaroskellthomas Fri 17-Mar-17 09:55:57

Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now