Talk

Advanced search

8 year old won't eat school dinners

(21 Posts)
MiddleAgedMother Thu 16-Mar-17 12:56:12

Can anyone help with suggestions?
Eats well at home and out, so I'm not worried about her eating enough, just has decided school food not to her liking😳
Pack lunches aren't allowed.

Patriciathestripper1 Thu 16-Mar-17 13:01:23

That's bizarre that they don't allow packed lunch,
It's not worth getting into a war with your daughter so I'd have a word with school and tell them that if she dosnt want to eat it then not to push the issue.
But make it clear to your daughter that she will still have to sit at the dinner table with everyone else until they have finished. You may find she starts to eat again.

MiddleAgedMother Thu 16-Mar-17 13:03:42

Thanks. That was my thought too but school don't want others to copy her so not keen.
How long would you give it?

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Thu 16-Mar-17 13:07:19

Packed lunches aren't allowed?
What if you had a child with allergies and you wanted to provide a packed lunch for your own piece of mind.
What if the food you eat at home is culturally very different and your child wouldn't be familiar with the school dinners?
What if you are very strictly kosher?

What madness.

MiddleAgedMother Thu 16-Mar-17 13:10:23

I can't do anything about the no pscked lunch rule.
They would accommodate allergies or religious dietary reqs.

My instinct is to ignore for as long as it takes - as long as eating well at home.

But school not keen.

Has anyone else that this problem?

SuperRainbows Thu 16-Mar-17 13:13:17

Maybe the school food is awful.

MiddleAgedMother Thu 16-Mar-17 13:14:59

That's what she says but others eat it!

SuperRainbows Thu 16-Mar-17 13:22:26

It's tricky because you haven't got an option. What does she think you can do about it?
Is she hoping to go home for lunch? Is this an option?

MiddleAgedMother Thu 16-Mar-17 13:23:26

She wants a packed lunch.
Basically she wants food cooked/made at home.
But will eat in restaurants.

allegretto Thu 16-Mar-17 13:23:51

Yes, I have this problem too! I have been posting on the snack thread but the two are related. My son is a fussy eater and won't eat a lot of the school dinners (certain days especially) and isn't allowed to bring a packed lunch.

MiddleAgedMother Thu 16-Mar-17 13:26:21

What do you do allegretto?
Have school any suggestions?
Off to check your thread!

MiddleAgedMother Thu 16-Mar-17 13:29:15

Allegretto - can you post a link to the other thread. I can't find it on my phone.

Butterymuffin Thu 16-Mar-17 13:32:22

What exactly doesn't she like about the school dinners? Mostly they have choices now. My DC school has sandwiches and jacket potatoes always on offer as well as the dish of the day. Do they not do that?

SuperRainbows Thu 16-Mar-17 13:32:53

What bugs me about schools is they claim they treat kids as individuals, but only if their individuality fits within their very narrow parameters.

One size fits all just doesn't work.

MiddleAgedMother Thu 16-Mar-17 13:34:22

Buttery muffin - no choice - not even bread on side.

MiddleAgedMother Thu 16-Mar-17 13:34:44

Super rainbows - couldn't agree more.

allegretto Thu 16-Mar-17 13:36:46

It's not my thread - I just posted on it. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2879143-aibu-restrictive-school-snack-policy-hungry-child?

Still trying to find a solution! DS is underweight and fainted at school today. sad

MiddleAgedMother Thu 16-Mar-17 13:37:11

Buttery suspect lack of choice is part of problem - she has no control. (To be fair choice at home is limited. Which fruit? Which flavour yog, sometimes what in sandwich. Often ask for suggestions for meals though.)
Also says she says it's just not good so won't even try any more.
Clearly it's not all bad but she won't even try now.

allegretto Thu 16-Mar-17 13:37:38

His school has no choice either so some days (e.g. fish days) I know he won't eat anything. Does yours offer a choice? Are you in the UK?

TheFlyingFauxPas Thu 16-Mar-17 13:49:39

Don't blame her! Looking at my ds primary school's set up it would put me off. And it did him. He hates cubed up mixed veg, prison trays, dirty cutlery, smelly water glasses, stuff with beans in and much more. Me too. He was entitled to free lunches. But gave up trying. He won't eat now he's at secondary. I still pack him up! Some people are ok with it. Some people (like us) just can't eat stuff that's a bit different. I'm a bit like that at other people's houses! Him too.
No choice. No pack up though sad ooh I have no idea sorry! Over and over people agree. Yes school lunches can be better than pack up but only if the kids eat the bloody food!!

MiddleAgedMother Thu 16-Mar-17 13:53:35

Thanks flying. It's a conundrum.

Allegretto. Yes UK. But no choice.

Have you read this?

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-views/flaws-how-schools-talk-about-food

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now