Talk

Advanced search

6 week old baby frenzied while feeding

(4 Posts)
munchkin3101 Thu 16-Mar-17 02:43:20

Hi all, I am new to this site and a new mum and I am hoping someone else has had the same experience....my six week old baby girl gets incredibly worked up during feeds, she is breastfed although now taking baby gaviscon for reflux so has to have the sachets dissolved in expressed milk. She goes absolutely crazy, flails her arms and legs, roots aggressively and grabs at the teat and eats so greedily as if she has never seen food before! She does this on the breast too, arches her back and screams. She is a big healthy baby and not going short of food but her aggressive behaviour wears her out completely until she falls asleep during the feed, full of wind and exhausted. It is like she is in a complete frenzy and panic as if her food is going to be taken away and she has to guzzle as much as she can very quickly. I am not enjoying feeding just now and dread how she may react. She has also had colic from the start of her little life and now struggling with reflux. Can anyone give me some help with this please? Thanks in advance.

divadee Sat 18-Mar-17 18:29:19

She could be comfort eating in an aggressive manner to try and get rid of the pain of reflux. My daughter who is 7 weeks old does this and then spits the milk out when it doesn't work.

ILoveDolly Sat 18-Mar-17 18:37:10

My son used to breastfeed as if starving and sort of flail and scratch until it drew blood. They all have their different feeding styles! He's my third so I've seen a few different "techniques". If they recalling asleep on the breast, I'd just pick them over my shoulder and wind them which usually awoke them sufficiently to feed some more. I'm sure as she gets older she will mellow. Try to keep the feeding environment as calm as possible for now and maybe make reassuring noises? Sounds daft but it seemed to help a little with my aforementioned hungry beast and his overly nosy sibling who used to pop off to look around every 5 mins.

Biscusting Thu 23-Mar-17 19:44:08

I think most babies are monsters at that age, mine certainly were! 6-8 weeks was the worst.
It gradually got better and by 10 weeks there was a big improvement then again at 15 weeks.
Someone told me that colicky refluxy babies are just very intelligent and are frustrated being babies. Mine were both very fussy, so naturally they are little geniuses wink

It's really heard going and the hardest bit of parenting I felt. Hang in there. It feels like forever, but it does pass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now