How many words should a 16 month be saying?

(12 Posts)
Pinkpurplepineapple Tue 14-Mar-17 13:34:30

My daughter says about 20 words but not all clearly
i know what shes saying but other people can't understand her
She says mummy, daddy, cat, sock, milk juice, dirty, hurt, bedtime and tired clearly but everything else is a mumbled
is it normal?

ExplodedCloud Tue 14-Mar-17 13:36:39

One of mine wasn't saying a single word at 16 months. One was talking in complex sentences. So Yes, your dd sounds fine

Nan0second Tue 14-Mar-17 13:37:08

Totally normal. Many 16 month olds can't say any words at all. Some can already speak in 2-3 word sentences.
Mine had about 10 words at this age. Now she is 22 months and learning a new word every day!
Don't worry smile

GeekGoddess Tue 14-Mar-17 13:38:55

Totally normal, don't worry op smile

I remember worrying about numbers of words when did was this age. She had fewer than yours. Once she got to two her speech just took off.

They all develop at different rates, just talk to her, read to her and she'll get there smile

Jayfee Tue 14-Mar-17 13:44:48

My daughter was slower than some friends children to speak but according to the nursery teacher had the most advanced language ever by the time she started nursery. Make sure you keep speaking to her and she'll be fine.

Pinkpurplepineapple Tue 14-Mar-17 13:59:25

Thanks you you've eased my worrying haha
We sing and I talk her constantly i feel crazy talking through everything I'm doing at times
A lot of the time she's so quiet on her own world playing I didn't know if she was doing okay smile

Nottalotta Tue 14-Mar-17 20:46:27

Ds1 is 20 months nearly and says Mamma reliably. That's all. He 'chats' lots with correct tone etc, and understands what others say to him so I'm hoping all is well.

Stitchfusion Tue 14-Mar-17 20:50:11

6 words at 18 months I think.
Tuneful babble at 9 months.
Age 3 for others to understand words.

trilbydoll Tue 14-Mar-17 20:53:56

I was looking up speech delay today because dd2 only has about 6 words at 22m. It said no words at all at 21m is indicative of speech delay and at 2 they should be putting two words together (mummy's keys). 20 words at 16m sounds fine smile

Summergarden Tue 14-Mar-17 21:00:08

I was worried about my DS, he said only 2 words a few months after his second birthday. However, roll on 6 months, it's unbelievable how many words he says now, literally hundreds. Incredible to see how he's caught up in just a few months.

BakwellTart2 Tue 14-Mar-17 21:01:24

Mine were like that and have grown up to talk clearly. And plenty! ( In fact it was far fewer than 20 words come to think of it.)

I did the thing of talking behind them to check their hearing too as advised by my mum, who also said to watch out for babbling and engagement as really positive steps.

tessiebear4 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:37:42

Mine has about 5 or 6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now