We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

son hardly ever receiving a pass in tag rugby

(3 Posts)
iamworkingonit Sun 12-Mar-17 21:58:18

My son is seven. He plays tag rugby most weekends and is going off the game. The children are now playing in festivals and he rarely gets passed the ball. He is able to catch quite well, he has his hands ready to receive the ball and is doing ok at the game. I have told him to support other players, call for the ball, and be in a position where someone will look to him to throw it. He is making an effort to do these things but it is tough when he goes through several games really only receiving the ball a few times. He has told me that he doesn't get passed the ball and he is right. What can I do to support him? I would like him to approach the problem so that there is some sort of tangible improvement for him as far as being part of the game goes. It is a catch 22 because the less he gets the ball the more despondent and the less skills he gains.
He tends to be distracted quite easily and is not hugely competitive but there are other children in the team who are equally distracted and not particularly competitive. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Crumbs1 Sun 12-Mar-17 22:11:40

He's seven so maybe back off? Our first son sat on B team bench for a couple of years with ten minutes play, if he was lucky. Interestingly, he's now the one most likely to play at Twickenham as he now plays for army under 23s. The local team now treat him as a returning hero rather than the unfortunate lad of 10 who was pretty hopeless. All you need to do for a seven year old is get up on a Sunday morning and cheer loudly. The coach should do the rest.

corythatwas Tue 14-Mar-17 01:10:12

Crumbs' advice seems good to me. Not much experience of sport, but dd was the one who never got picked for a speaking part in any play; she was encouraged to enjoy what she was doing (angels, parts of staircases, party guest)- and she will be going to drama school in September. 7 is still very little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now