Talk

Advanced search

How often does your 6/7 yr old cry?

(11 Posts)
TheUnicorns Sat 11-Mar-17 21:28:34

Just curious!

danTDM Sat 11-Mar-17 21:32:25

Very very seldomly, but she's a stoic thing. Also very happy.
Once a month possibly?

Wigeon Sat 11-Mar-17 21:40:29

My Y1 (currently 5, almost 6) cries probably on average at least once a day. Sometimes more. When she's hurt herself, when her (big) sister does something mean, when she feels aggrieved. Drives us round the bend but it usually passes quite quickly. My theory is that because she is the younger one, she (feels she) has to make a collosal fuss for anyone to pay any attention to her.

We never know whether to ignore it, or be sympathetic.

FATEdestiny Sat 11-Mar-17 21:43:52

Mines a sore loser. He will cry if he's losing a competitive game. Not a genuine cry, more a frustrated-in-himself cry. So it entirely depends on how often he play football with his older brother plays competitive games. If not often, he wont cry often. If often, he'll cry often.

A genuine feeling sorrowful and sad cry - that is very rare. Maybe once every 2 or 3 months.

HandsomeDevil Sat 11-Mar-17 21:45:49

daily probably, usually near bedtime. She's not getting enough sleep, and we're working on it, but she'd quite hard work from 18.30 onwards. She is a bit of dramatic type though.

DaisyQueen Sat 11-Mar-17 21:48:35

My nearly 6 year old cries at least once per day. Usually after school when she is tired and gets into a real twist about anything, it's more of a whinge than a genuine cry because she can turn it off in an instant if she gets her own way.

Haggisfish Sat 11-Mar-17 21:50:38

Loads. If she's done something naughty, or she's tired or hungry. Or emotional.

TheUnicorns Sat 11-Mar-17 21:51:29

Oh this makes me feel so much better! Got a 1-3 times a dayer here and it's driving me round the bend. Good to know it's not just her and is a commonish thing for her age.

Wigeon Sat 11-Mar-17 22:00:19

The worst time is when there are other people around and she does it, and DH and I don't particularly immediately react or start fussing over her, and other people grandparents start being all concerned, but they haven't seen her do this about a gazillion times before. Then we have to start justifying why we aren't rushing to her aid.

Obviously if she's genuinely injured we do look after her, but 99% of the time it's nothing at all serious.

When it's this frequent, is it best to be sympathetic, or to tell her to get over it and stop crying?

drspouse Sat 11-Mar-17 22:01:02

Have your frequent criers always been like this?
My 2 year old cries at the drop of a hat, if you say No!, she even cries in her sleep, or wakes, cries and goes straight back to sleep.
I was kind of hoping that this was a phase.

TheUnicorns Sat 11-Mar-17 22:27:21

Mine has only been this bad since she turned 5.

I'm a "suck it up, there's nothing wrong, here look at this other thing" type of person (unless genuinely injured or whatever but nine times out of ten she's been told no to something or doesn't want to do something or the grass is the wrong bloody colour or something). OH is very into cuddles and comfort every time. I don't know which is better. I worry she will grow up unable to deal with the world as she is too bloody fragile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now