Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does this sound like an issue re SALT

(8 Posts)
Eminybob Wed 08-Mar-17 20:16:54

When I picked DS (2.5) up from nursery today, his key worker told me they were thinking of referring him to SALT as they feel he has speech delay.

This was quite a surprise as I thought he was doing really well with his speech. He has friends which are further ahead, but also ones that don't speak as well so I haven't had any cause for concern.

Here is a summary of what he can say/understand:

He can say several-word sentences like "I want more juice please mummy"
He can name all the main colours and shapes
He can name all of the Thomas and friend's characters
He chats to himself while playing, playing out characters voices and scenarios
He can follow (when he chooses) instructions like find your shoes, pass me the ball etc and can understand and react to pretty much everything I say.
He answers when I ask him questions, did you have a good day, who did you see at nursery, what animals did we see at the farm etc.
Loads of other words/sentences and can hold a limited conversation.

One thing I have noticed an even mildly concerned about is that he doesn't say his own name. He can name all his friends, but when asked what his name is he says he doesn't know. Although he does respond to his name and if I say is your name xxx he says yes.

He is shy, and he does talk less when we are around new people and in large groups, but he's been going to this nursery for 18 months so I didn't think he would be shy there, but maybe he just isn't talking as much when he's there?

Anyway, sorry for the long post, does anyone have any thoughts? Does he sound "normal" for his age and do you think a SALT referral is necessary?

JonesyAndTheSalad Wed 08-Mar-17 22:03:22

My DD hardly spoke at all at nursery and they were shocked when I showed them a recording of her at home where she was very loud and articulate.

If they think a SALT referral is needed, don't turn it down or anything as sometimes SALT help with other things not just delayed speech.

They can help for example with children who don't speak much in social situations.

Maybe go in, ask for a meeting....see what their concerns are. You should have been called in before the keyworker just dropped this on you at pick up...that was very thoughtless of her!

Of course you'll worry. It would have been better for them to ask you in for a chat!

Eminybob Thu 09-Mar-17 06:44:19

Thanks jonesy. I was thinking that I was happy for him to have the SALT referral as it can't hurt. I think they have a few in his class that they have concerns about so we're doing like a bulk referral iyswim?

His key worker was lovely, really reassuring and she did take me aside to have the chat. DH was with me so was able to occupy DS while we talked so I wasn't bothered that it was dropped on me at pick up.

I might try recording him at home to show to nursery, that's a good idea.

Devilishpyjamas Thu 09-Mar-17 06:49:05

Does he respond to his name OP? That's more important than being able to say it.

The waiting list for SALT here is 18 weeks after a 6 week wait for triage hmm so you are being sensible just letting the referral happen - by the time he's seen it'll be clear whether there is an issue or not.

Eminybob Thu 09-Mar-17 07:15:44

Yeah he does respond. The key either said it could be a 6 month wait for SALT!

Eminybob Thu 09-Mar-17 07:15:59

*key worker

insancerre Thu 09-Mar-17 07:27:35

I work in a nursery and have referred many children to the SALT
I have not had any yet where early intervention hasn't made a difference
I do have one who was referred by the HV following the 2 year check who didn't need any intervention,
But it's better to be reassured by the SALT that development is ok, than a child fall behind because of a lack of intervention
When you have your initial assessment the SALT will seek your opinions so don't worry about them only having the information from the nursery

Eminybob Thu 09-Mar-17 07:51:03

Thanks that is really helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now