Talk

Advanced search

Six months and not sitting up

(15 Posts)
fruityb Mon 06-Mar-17 15:56:00

DS can roll over with no difficulty at all, has great hand eye coordination, chats away and is generally ace to be around. He sits up well on your knee if you hold a hand and can sit up in between your legs on the floor or facing me. I can let go and he'll stay there but typically he falls forward and folds in half! He has done it today where he then kicked his legs out and was on all fours instead. It's like he can but he's really not interested! He shows no interest in pushing his feet down either. I'm not worried necessarily but just wonder if I'm focussing too much on other babies at groups! Some of them stand, or push down with their feet when held or can sit up unaided for a bit. My DS would rather be laid down and looking around or rolling over.

What can I do to encourage sitting up? He fecking hates a bumbo! He's steady and his head control is brill, he's definitely strong as well! If I sit him down and let go he just folds forwards!

HughLauriesStubble Mon 06-Mar-17 15:58:28

I used a crescent shaped breastfeeding pillow to support ds to sit when he was that small. Just plonked him on the floor with it and put a few toys in front of him to keep him distracted smile

EsmesBees Mon 06-Mar-17 16:00:06

I think 6 months is about average for sitting. So I wouldn't be concerned yet. Try not to compare with his peers, he is probably working on other skills they haven't mastered yet.

EpoxyResin Mon 06-Mar-17 16:04:26

When ds was around this age we used to do "row, row, row your boat". I'd sit him facing me between my legs, hold his hands and sing the song whilst "rowing" us both backwards towards me, then lean forwards lowering ds to the ground, then back to me again. It's natural to engage your core muscles when doing that (and indeed you could see ds's little legs coming off the ground as I leaned him back, showing he was holding his stomach muscles) so you both get a good core work-out. You can go side to side too for lateral muscles.

He did sit very well so perhaps it helped him, but mostly it really sorted out my belly!

fruityb Mon 06-Mar-17 16:09:10

We do row row but not like that - if it helps me too we might do though lol

Highlove Mon 06-Mar-17 17:09:56

My youngest is 7mo in a couple of days. It's really only this last week/ten days that she's properly mastered sitting up. I don't think you need worry not doing it until 8/9 months...and no doubt by then he'll have it sorted - sounds like he's on his way anyway.

Highlove Mon 06-Mar-17 17:11:33

Oh and mine have both hated bumbo after about two minutes, too. In fact I've yet to meet a baby that doesn't!

highinthesky Mon 06-Mar-17 17:12:29

Don't be concerned about this, and don't force it. Your DS will sit up when his nervous system is sufficiently developed.

ClemDanfango Mon 06-Mar-17 17:15:12

Hell do it soon, my baby point blank refuses to roll from her back on to her front and she's 9 months old, yet she's pulling to her feet and just beginning crawling. They're all different and go at their own pace.

fruityb Mon 06-Mar-17 17:16:28

I'm not forcing it I've just been trying with him - but thank you all for your reassurance. I know you shouldn't compare but it really isn't easy to avoid at times lol. He's rolling all over the place at the mo which is funny.

highlove you put him in a bumbo and he just leans backwards like he's trying to tip over - he almost goes rigid! He really doesn't like it. He's fed his dinner in his swing at the mo with the lock on so it doesn't swing - it's more like a chair in a frame. Happy as a clam in there. Need to get the high chair ordered really.

DoubleR Mon 06-Mar-17 17:19:05

My DS didn't sit up until 9 months ( he was 1 month delayed due to being premature) it didn't worry me though because my DD had sat up at 4 months and then required much more entertaining as she couldn't be left under the baby gym. DS is now 3 and does not stay still for a second! It's natural to worry but unless he is behind the usual developmental age range I'd just enjoy the relative calm smile

Rustler74 Mon 06-Mar-17 17:23:51

The journey to achieving a motor milestone is just as important as the achievement.
Do not bother with a bumbo, my dear. 6 months is rather early to sit up. If your child is rolling around nicely, it's building up the right muscles to allow a good quality of sitting. Give him some time on the floor, rolling to his sides . Avoid time in the door bouncer, walker and overly supportive and expensive equipment. Sitting will happen! Pm me if you like more direction advice.

OutnumberedbyFurchesters Mon 06-Mar-17 17:24:26

Dd went to nursery at 8.5months, still falling over. (She was fine by 9 months, and pulling to stand too) and they didn't see it as unusual either.

She was working on cognitive skills more so tha. Motor we found... smile

Think concern would've been if not by 10months from what HV said when doing assessment.

ClemDanfango Mon 06-Mar-17 17:25:20

Lots of tummy time and shaking rattles to make him look up will help him develop his neck and back muscles to support his development in this area. He sounds like he's doing great though, it's goes so fast this first year 😫

fruityb Mon 06-Mar-17 17:33:13

He rolls over all the time and spends a lot of time on his tummy looking around - I'm amazed watching him! He lays there wiggling his legs looking round the room. We got the bumbo to sit him in when we started weaning but he freaking hates it! He spends loads of time on the floor - it's where he is when he's not on my knee to be fair. He used to be in his baby gym till he outgrew that and now he's on the rug. He loves being down there and looking round.

I won't worry too much then - thanks all. Watching him grow is incredible - I've been round babies a lot in my life with my nieces and nephews but intermittently. Seeing the milestones as they happen is just brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now