Talk

Advanced search

How do I get toddler to not put so much food in his mouth?

(10 Posts)
OrlandoTheCat Fri 03-Mar-17 11:21:36

I'm at my wits' end trying to get DS (2yrs 2mo) not to put so much food in his mouth. His language is not great and he doesn't really understand much.

I do say "slow down" and "bite, and then chew" but he doesn't seem to understand.

I'm scared he'll choke.

If your toddler did this, do they eventually grow out of it?

Rainbowshine Fri 03-Mar-17 11:27:28

Place marking as I have a 4yo that seems to think his mouth is like a TARDIS - we encourage cutting up food to be smaller and say no bigger than your sticker (or other suitably sized toy/object).

SilverLinings2014 Fri 03-Mar-17 16:49:42

I'm sure he understands more than you think Orlando

I say 'small bites, cut DDs food up quite small (even sandwiches otherwise she stuffs them in) and model the behaviour by not shovelling food in myself which I never do, honestly! blush

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 03-Mar-17 22:09:25

If you are worried about him choking, do you know what to do if he does?

If it helps my DS used to put so much in his mouth that he used to have to put his hand over his mouth to stop the food falling back out. He's older now, has better manners but is still a greedy sod!

Agree with the more positive language, especially if he has limited language, so instead of saying don't try things like "small bites please" but honestly, I'd just relax smile

OrlandoTheCat Sun 05-Mar-17 18:23:02

Thanks all.
Yes, I did the children first aid course....but have forgotten a lot of it already blush.

I do go online and watch videos now and then to remind myself.

dairymilkmonster Tue 07-Mar-17 21:27:22

My ds2 20mo does this too - I am at a loss to prevent it! I am not too worried though as he will probably 'grow out of it'. Good luck!

cookielove Tue 07-Mar-17 21:30:10

Has he ever choked?

OrlandoTheCat Tue 07-Mar-17 22:45:51

Cookie Not that I'm aware of....

....touching wood all round me!

cookielove Wed 08-Mar-17 13:52:41

I understand your worry, but if he has never choked on his food he can clearly cope with the amount he puts in his mouth! However I since that you are after a solution could you try cutting food up to bite size pieces and giving only one or two at a time?

vcrees6 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:02:30

My son did this but has gotten better. He is now just over 3. We had problems with him gagging on all the food and throwing up the entire meal. I used to have to cut everything up and watch him like a hawk when eating as well as trying to convince him verbally. He still sometimes takes a too big bite of sandwich or whatever but I think him maturing helped in our case rather than anything we did or said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now