Talk

Advanced search

Seven Year Old

(3 Posts)
Kaka1549 Tue 28-Feb-17 10:22:12

My 7 yrs old has always skipped into school. In the last three weeks he cries when I drop him off. Not because anyone is at him or anything he says its because he misses me so much when I leave and when I try to walk away he gets hysterical. I dont know what to do. I have tried calming him down. I have tried talking him through it. Please help

JonesyAndTheSalad Tue 28-Feb-17 12:07:43

I always think this is the age where they lose a bit of innocence and become aware of some of the realities of life. It's the age when they realise death is a thing and many question the existence of Father Christmas etc.

It makes them feel generally insecure. I think it's a good idea to instigate some safe, pleasant little rituals....for eg I started laying a bit of a fancy tea table for my DD2 to come home to after school...she looked forward to it and it was a bit of "special time" that was always there.

Other things include taking notice of the seasons...talking about how they always keep coming round and round...it sounds a bit airy fairy but it helps their understanding and makes them feel more secure in the world.

So DD2 and I started our own nature table and on Fridays would go for a nature walk too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 28-Feb-17 18:35:30

Are you really sure nothing has happened at school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now