Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask what you would do in this situation

(8 Posts)
Screamer1 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:02:05

My 2 year old ds is quite often a bit of a horror at mealtimes. There's a lot of acting up, shouting, mucking about. He won't use his spoon or fork for the main meal even though he can use it perfectly for yoghurt. There's a lot of cajoling although I try and do this as gently as possible.

However, sometimes he is really poorly behaved. I know he's still small so I don't want to have unrealistic expectations about what he should be doing.

For example, dinner today was a write-off.
He has tea at nursery at 3, so on those days I try and give him a snacky dinner (cherry tomatoes, homemade mini pizza bits etc). He refused to sit at the table and was running around like a maniac. I left him for a while thinking if he saw me feeding his baby sister he would join us. He didn't but was getting more manic. I told him to come and sit down and try some food. He just refusing and running round. Eventually I said the choice was to come and sit down to eat and we could watch something after or that he could keep playing but we wouldn't watch anything afterwards. At which point he had a screaming tantrum.

I understand he won't always be hungry. I'm not expecting him to eat everything. I just hate the constant battles and acting up.

I don't think I'm particularly uptight about my response when he's like this. I praise him when he eats well etc, but I'm obviously going wrong somewhere.

Any advice?! Please!

FriendofBill Mon 27-Feb-17 18:04:07

I would just offer the food.
If he doesn't want it pack it away for later.
Ask him to play quietly while you eat.

Screamer1 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:39:12

Thank you for replying. Would you ever use the treat of tv as a bargaining tool? This is one I'm not sure of, I do sometimes and it does get him to eat better but obviously I realise that's not ideal.

FriendofBill Mon 27-Feb-17 18:57:45

Have the TV on to eat?
Wouldn't bother me.

Babymamamama Mon 27-Feb-17 19:01:51

He's very little so don't be too hard on yourself or him. Plenty of time to sort this out. He probably isn't very hungry which is why he is mucking about. I wouldn't stress as long as some nutritional stuff is going in.

IamChipmunk Tue 28-Feb-17 15:02:52

He probably isn't hungry. My ds only has something like a yoghurt or rice pudding after nursery even though they have tea at about 3.30. They are fed a lot during the day if it's anything like ours!

I would offer the food, if he wants it then fine if not just put the tv on while you have yours or feed baby and ask him to watch it quietly and not run about.
If he then ran about I'd give a warning then turn it off.

He won't go hungry and if he is hungry he will eat it.
I honestly wouldn't bother trying to 'force' him to even sit down to try it.
Offer, if not wanted then I'd not worry about it.

Screamer1 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:58:15

Thanks everyone, sounds like I need to relax about it!

backtowork2015 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:54:46

They eat loads at nursery. Bfast, snack, hot lunch then tea. I don't offer a meal at home. Mine quite often will have a banana and a cup of milk only

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now