Talk

Advanced search

14 mo doesn't chew

(5 Posts)
Thecomfortador Wed 22-Feb-17 12:32:33

Ds has never really taken to food, having a minimal interest in finger foods, and refusing to be spoon fed. The only thing he ate reliably under 12 months was yoghurt or fromage frais. He prefers the independence of controlling his own spoon but only ever sucks / slurps food off it, and the spoon goes on the floor after 2/3 goes.

I've noticed he will put a bean / piece of cheese etc in his mouth and hold it there, before pushing it out with his tongue up to half an hour later.

Today he took a ginger biscuit, seemed to be enjoying the strong taste, but was processing it by pushing his tongue out of his mouth repeatedly. He went back to the biscuit for another try, so I think he was attracted by the taste, he just doesn't seem to know what to do.

Anyone experienced this or have any ideas how to help him chew and move food to the back of his mouth? I already make chewing motions at him and he certainly has watched me eat plenty of times, and often wants to feed me. He has 11 teeth.

At what point do we seek help, and who from, the GP has already said he is not concerned as ds is a good weight (thanks to me bfing him I guess as he won't drink cows milk yet). But I am concerned.

user1477282676 Thu 23-Feb-17 06:03:34

Has he got any teeth? And was the birth ok?

For what it's worth, quite a lot of babies have some issues like this and usually it rectifies itself as they age a bit.

Thecomfortador Thu 23-Feb-17 07:48:51

Hi user, yes he has 11 teeth so far. Maybe he just doesn't want to get them dirty haha. Birth was a ventous delivery. He had trouble latching on and we didn't bf until c.6 weeks.

I guess riding it out is still the answer and hope he eventually clicks. Thanks for your response.

BendingSpoons Thu 23-Feb-17 11:02:40

Have you spoken to your health visitor about it? Did you have a 1 year check? They might have some advice.

Thecomfortador Thu 23-Feb-17 11:55:00

He had a 9 month check, lack of interest in food was discussed then. I have since phoned and spoken to them and they sent a nursery nurse out, this was when he was 12 months and still not eating. All she could suggest was have you tried porridge or weetabix, try leaving it an hour after milk, eat with him and you need to 'help' him(?!)... I may have to go back and get him weighed, according to our scales he has gone down from 50th -25th-ish centile. But he has a fat face and chubby legs so doesn't look under fed to the untrained eye.

I guess I'm going to have to go back to them and see what else they can suggest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now