Talk

Advanced search

20 month old speach??

(8 Posts)
user1486499646 Fri 17-Feb-17 19:30:38

My dd is 20months old she mumbbles alot is loud and like to have mummble however she cant produce words. She can say mum daddy nanny grandad iya no car and nearly can day our dogs name is this normal im worried she is behind??

user1477282676 Fri 17-Feb-17 21:20:15

It's still in the range of normal. My nephew didn't manage to properly communicate until he was around 27 months. A LOT can happen from 20 months to 3 years.

In the meantime, keep talking to her a lot...don't ask her to say words like "Say horsey! Say horsey!" because this doesn't work.

Just converse with her. Tell her what you're doing and point things out to her.

If she tries to say something about the dog or the car or whatever for example she points at the car and says car....you say "Yes, it's a red car isn't it? I like red cars...." and so on.

Also read to her every day, pointing to the pictures and telling her what things are.

GoBigOrange Fri 17-Feb-17 21:43:11

It is a little bit behind where the experts would like to see her, but not worryingly so. The average 18 month old should ideally have around a dozen words but it doesn't have to mean something is wrong if they don't have that many, as children do tend to do things at their own pace and a lot of speech progress can be made very fast between 18 months and two years. (One of my nephews had no words at 18 months, but by his 2nd birthday was yapping away in three-word sentences).

My own 19 month old only has five clear words (Mama, Dada, bye, car, duck) but spends much of his time muttering and babbling to himself and I often catch word-like sounds coming from him, but it isn't clear what it is meant to be, or if it is meant to be anything at all!

At this age, understanding is still more important than speaking. If you ask her things does she understand without gestures to prompt her? eg. Bring me the ball Where's daddy? or offer her a familiar book and ask her to show you the pig/duck/car/whatever. This is a big favourite with most little kids in my family, including my son: www.amazon.co.uk/Babys-ABC-Sassy-Grosset-Dunlap/dp/044848207X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487366548&sr=8-1&keywords=Sassy+ABC&tag=mumsnetforum-21

If you don't have any concerns beyond her not having more words, I'd just have as many conversations with her as you possibly can, narrate everything you do with her (lets put your socks on your feet, and now lets brush your hair, here's your brush, etc) and hope she picks up more words soon.

Shootingstar2289 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:03:35

My daughter is 19 months and about the same. She says a few words (duck, hello, hiya). I would say she's still in the normal range.

My oldest (5) didn't have any words at all at age 4.5, he didn't babble either. Now you cannot shut him up (he does have ASD). A lot can change in a short amount of time. 😀

Understanding is just as important as speech. Does she understand what you're saying to her?

user1486499646 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:01:53

She understands very well her nursery teachers have commented on how much she understands she knows if i tell her to gether eating chair were going out she gets her coat i do her napppyshe puts it in the bin she litrally knows exactly what i say to her its unbelievbule however she just cant communicate back which is so frustrating sad

cherryblossomcarpet Wed 22-Feb-17 21:38:22

My dd was the same. It turned out she was listening and taking everything in, just not verbalising what she knew. She didn't say anything other than mama until she was 2. Then she started talking, and I really do mean talking in sentences not just saying words. By 2.5 she was probably ahead of most of her peer group with respect to language. She never stops talking now.

Ds is the opposite. He started talking at 13 months, and at 24 months can converse about pretty much anything in long complex sentences.

Dcs hit speech milestones in their own time. I wouldn't worry at all.

coco1983 Fri 24-Feb-17 20:57:25

It sounds like your child is pretty much on track. If she's 20 months and is using around 10 words I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. This website is useful for knowing whether your child's talking is behind or not, and also has ideas for how to help them: confidenttalkers.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/should-i-worry-that-my-child-isnt.html

Frazzled2207 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:01:42

Mine is 21 months and similar.
As was his brother at that age- he didn't really pur sentences together until he was 2.5 but by 3.5 was very fluent.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: