Talk

Advanced search

Leaving an 11 month old to go on holiday for 3 nights

(5 Posts)
Amazonmulu Tue 14-Feb-17 09:33:56

Hello

I need some advice... my oh and I are planning on going away for my 40th when the dd is 11m nearly 12m (May 2017)

Initially we were planning on 2n... but we've been invited to a wedding the previous day so he wants to leave the baby for 3 nights now sad At the moment she has really really bad separation anxiety (she is 8/9m old) and I'm worried that 3 nights is too long.

Also I don't want the wedding to ruin my 40th - eg we are away one night, the baby has a meltdown and we then have to cancel the whole of my 2n 40th trip.

Have you left your 11/12m babies? How long for? How did it go? And any advice on how to make it better is very welcome!

Xxx

Pipsicola Tue 14-Feb-17 18:29:15

I've left my 10 almost 11 month old for 1 overnight so far (she stayed with grandparents), just last weekend. Went fine - she had a great time and it was nice to get a break. Now I've done it once I'd be happy to again and maybe longer. Maybe worth trying a night away first before your big trip to see how it goes?

Amazonmulu Wed 15-Feb-17 07:09:43

That's reassuring! I think defo need a trial run for everyone's sake!

Phillipa12 Wed 15-Feb-17 07:23:07

My sister went on her 4 night honeymoon when her dd was 10 months (she was also 6 weeks prem so corrected age of 8.5 months) . Yes she missed her dd but my older sister had booked annual leave esp to look after her and she was fine, shes now 10 and still fine 😀, go, enjoy and dont worry. My sister did look after my niece at my nieces house to help keep things similar for her, as long as whoever is looking after her keeps roughly to her routine she will be fine!

skankingpiglet Wed 15-Feb-17 23:25:43

I unfortunately lost my DM when DD1 was 11mo, and the week before she died I was almost constantly by her bedside including overnight. DH needed to still go to work after the first couple of days so we got in an emergency agency nanny. Despite being a high needs Velcro baby, being in a house she barely knew (DM lived some distance from us) and palmed-off into the care of a woman she'd never met before, DD1 coped brilliantly. The nanny was great with her, and that made all the difference.

Who will your DD be staying with? I'd definitely build up time with them starting now if possible. I think kids are pretty flexible, and babies particularly seem to have a sixth sense you aren't around and are willing to accept a slightly different routine as a result IME: like the EBF babies who refuse a bottle if Mum's home (even if out of sight in another room), but will take one if she's out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now