Talk

Advanced search

Learning styles

(7 Posts)
Nicpem1982 Mon 13-Feb-17 19:04:59

Hiya

When do children show a preference to learning styles?

Dds 2.5 and we've had some friends over today around the same age we've been friends since dcs we're 6 months old and get on we'll.

I went to pop the dcs lunch out and a friend agreed to keep and eye on my dd no problem.

I went back into the living room 5 mins later and friends dc had literally taken everything out and was throwing it around the room much to the 😱 Of the other who were there trying to protect their dcs from flying toys.

When I said "wow looks like you guys have had fun! Shall we choose one toy to keep out and pop the rest away?" His mom said he's a kinaesthetic learner and she won't stop him making a mess???

So my question is was this friend just being lazy or is her dc a kinaesthetic learner?

Incidentally when she left after lunch she didn't clear up and the house was carnage

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Tue 14-Feb-17 19:15:53

Nah, she's a lazy parent of a special snowflake.

Kinaesthetic learners don't need to wreck a place to learn, nor do they need to release the kinetic energy of every item in the room.

Besides, a kinaesthetic learner will learn a lot through tidying up.

leccybill Wed 15-Feb-17 16:00:01

Learning styles have been debunked as pseudo science.

MommaGee Fri 17-Feb-17 11:55:31

There nothing wrong with them doing that in their home bit definitely should have helped tody up as soon as it was clear you weren't happy having everything out.
Were an empty the toy box on the floor and play with Two things at once house and last play date I had at mine the floor was covered (but no flying toys) but I'm clearly ok with it and she offered to help tidy.

Play date at hers in future

PerpetualStudent Fri 17-Feb-17 11:59:48

What leccybill said. There is minimal proper educational research to suggest it has any meaning to label someone a kinaesthetic/auditory/whatever learner.

Shootingstar2289 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:07:39

In her own house, she can do what the hell she wants. But seriously, she thought it was okay for her child to pull your house upside down? How rude!

I'd be telling my child to stop and put things away!

I think she's lazy!

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 19-Feb-17 08:51:13

Learning styles is a red herring , just a plausible excuse for lazy parenting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now