Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bf 6wk old, ongoing diarrhoea/green poo

(5 Posts)
Burnttoastcoldcoffee Mon 13-Feb-17 15:00:51

Hello, my 6 week old breast fed son has had diarrhoea for over a week and green stools for longer than that. He is straining much of the time, day and night, passing small amounts of green/yellow watery/bubbly liquid poo at every feed and sometimes more often. He's also in pain with the straining, and has obvious tummy pain, which isn't confined just to the evening. He often wakes up crying with it. I've cut out cows milk and it's not making any difference so far. I'm not sure what else it could be? I did have a course of antibiotics myself so wondered if that might be the cause, but finished a week ago and dS seems if anything to be getting worse not better. Could it be that I've knocked out his gut bacteria?? Or I'd it an allergy to something else? Any advice??

IntoTheDeep Mon 13-Feb-17 15:05:31

Have you seen anyone medical about it? GP, health visitor etc?

If he's had diarrhoea for over a week then you should probably get him checked out, especially given his age.

HughLauriesStubble Mon 13-Feb-17 15:05:50

When did you cut out cows milk and have you cut out all other dairy too? This happened me with dd and it took a good 7-10 days of no dairy at all for her poos to go back to normal. Turned out she was sensitive to dairy.

Also, green poo can be a sign of hind/fore milk imbalance.

Are you on any facebook breastfeeding groups? I always found them great for advice.

Burnttoastcoldcoffee Mon 13-Feb-17 15:23:15

Hi both thanks for responding. I have taken him to the gp, she was pretty clueless but has sent off a poo sample. Waiting to hear back about that. She ascertained he is "well in himself", which he is - no fever, feeding well etc... but he's v uncomfortable. I stopped cows milk a while back but have been a bit rubbish and inconsistent till a couple of days ago...does it take a while to improve then?

JordanMcDeere Mon 13-Feb-17 15:35:30

It can take up to 6 weeks for cows milk to be out of your system, apparently. Has he been checked for a tongue tie by a professional (as in tongue tie practioner)? As a tongue tie could make him swallow extra air when feeding causing stomach pain & bloating

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now