Talk

Advanced search

Toy inspiration for 17mo

(12 Posts)
SleepBecomesHim321 Sun 12-Feb-17 12:03:26

Morning all, I'm hoping you might be able to advise about some new toys/activities for my 17mo to play with/do at home.

He goes to nursery 3 days/week and is looked after at home by a grandparent the other two days. They'll normally take him to a group or two on those days.

So it's really for weekends that I'm seeking inspiration. For times when we're doing stuff at home or just want to sit down for a bit! Our house has an open plan kitchen diner living room (no designated playroom) so we don't have tonnes of space but his toys really need a refresh. He has a toy kitchen, loads of books, puzzles, some cars already etc. He loves climbing, putting stuff in things...

So, can anyone recommend anything for this age?

Thanks in advance.

SunnySomer Sun 12-Feb-17 12:08:30

Brio (or ikea alternative). Duplo. We used to play shopping with a brick trolley that DS used as a shopping trolley. And as a pram for his animals. And used to bricks to build walls he could drive into... happy days 😀

bookworm14 Sun 12-Feb-17 15:14:54

Definitely duplo. My 18mo also loves shape sorters, stacking cups, and dolls/soft toys. She got a tea set for Christmas and likes 'feeding' her dolls and teddies with the toy cups.

ohfourfoxache Sun 12-Feb-17 15:24:22

Same as Duplo really, but Mega Blocs do a table that ds loves

He's also got into playing with a big tunnel that he crawls through- it's quite big but folds up really small.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Sun 12-Feb-17 16:28:37

He might be a bit young still, but my DB loved his brio so much, you'd get years out of that, and it makes Christmas and birthday easy if he likes it! Maybe he could put it in and out of a box at first?!

Ferguson Sun 12-Feb-17 19:38:53

Yes to DUPLO - it entertains and informs on so many levels - colours, shapes, people, animals, construction, counting etc.

70ontheinside Sun 12-Feb-17 19:47:03

Stacking cups. We got ours for ridiculously cheap in Ikea and got years of play out of them!
A sandbox in the garden was a great hit, too.

Changingagain Sun 12-Feb-17 19:49:20

My 17 month old loves his playmobil 123 most at the moment. He has the noahs ark and the big farm house, and will spend ages trotting all the animals down the stairs from the house and then up the ramp onto the boat and back again. He also carries the figures around a lot. He also loves sitting with someone going through books to find things.

We have a pop up tent/ ball pool and tunnel which take up the whole flat but fold up very small (the balls go in a bin bag on top of his wardrobe). We only get it out on days when we're stuck in and it really helps with his restlessness.

BikeRunSki Sun 12-Feb-17 19:54:28

Brio, megablocks or Duplo. The large Happyland vehicles - this kind of thing - there's also a fire engine, tractor, spaceship, car transporter and cement mixer.

PurpleAlerts Sun 12-Feb-17 20:18:29

These ball ramps are great for your age DC My DDs loved them. You can play lots of ready steady go games and good for eye hand co-ordination development.

Or stacking cups/ rings or a push along with wooden bricks in for building up are brilliant.

Timefor2 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:05:15

Hide and Squeak eggs are often a big hit at this age.

Doll and pushchair too, also play kitchen - mine liked putting things in and out the cupboards for months and then started to actually use it as a kitchen!

Mega doddle board (dunno if that's the actual name, something like that, maybe called magic drawing?)

Even with new toys I suspect you'll be dragged into all the games anyway though! smile

BikeRunSki Tue 14-Feb-17 20:42:34

Oh yes!!! Hide and squeak eggs!!!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now