Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have a 4yo who tantrums

(9 Posts)
wrinkleseverywhere Fri 10-Feb-17 20:47:41

Apart from reflux, DS was a delight until the week before he turned two at which point someone flicked a switch & it seemed as though he rarely stopped tantrummimg for the next 20 months or so. He is now 4.9 and the last year has been much better but he can still through a massive strop & will run out of the room and fling himself to the floor before racing back to shout at me & then flinging himself to the floor once more. He gets disciplined for this (time out/removal of whatever nice thing was about to happen (if one was)). He is delightful at school & when out and about. I don't mind him letting of steam at home but it is so tedious.
Please reassure me it is just a phase! Solutions/suggestions obviously welcome too.

Playitagainsam Sat 11-Feb-17 08:13:24

Our DD is nearly 5 and still throws tantrums from time to time. Never mind the terrible 2's, I found 3 and 4 worse - not least of which because she has so much 'tude now!! Her tantrums seem to be more like rages. She flies off the handle (she's got a very short fuse) and ramps up until she's bright red in the face and screaming. It's pretty horrific. All we do is send her up to her room to calm down, then go up and check on her after 5 mins. I don't really have much advice, but I do feel your pain!!

CoffeeBreakIn5 Sun 12-Feb-17 13:55:29

My 4 year old is unbearable at the moment, he was a delight until he turned 3 and then he just changed. He hates everything I try to do with him, refuses to do as he's told and regularly tantrums and screams to get his own way. I don't know what the answer is, but I've been told time and time again that it's totally normal. I'm currently exhausting the naughty step, and just being really strict with discipline. It doesn't help that he's an angel at nursery or that grandma doesn't impose any boundaries. Sometimes I think that I should quit work so I can really focus on getting his behaviour right but then he behaves everywhere else so perhaps it's me! Anyway, you're not alone.

EthelredOnAGoodDay Thu 16-Feb-17 20:30:55

My daughter, now 7, was exactly the same. Hideous, almost legendary tantrums from about 1 to 4.5. Now is a little treasure. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

tryingtogetbacktome Thu 16-Feb-17 20:35:02

Bloody hell, is there any 4yo olds that don't tantrum??

freethebiscuit Sat 18-Feb-17 13:03:47

My 4 year old has horrific tantrums at the mo, fights with her siblings and generally sulks/moans that she wants the exact opposite to whatever we've just agreed to. It's exhausting. Looking for that light at the end of the tunnel with it too OP confused

TheOnlyWayIsMN Sat 18-Feb-17 17:56:21

My son is just awful since starting school. Behaves beautifully while there, but horrible outside (to me). Glad to hear it's not just us and hoping it will settle.

wrinkleseverywhere Sat 18-Feb-17 21:10:09

I'm relieved to hear DS isn't the only one. He was delightful all half term and then got over-tired yesterday & turned into monster child again. At least I now know some of it at least is tiredness related.

TheOnlyWayIsMN Sun 19-Feb-17 17:35:03

We've had some really good behaviour over half term too - so much that I don't really want to send him back (and he doesn't want to go back either)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now