Talk

Advanced search

Teething 4 month old won't sleep alone

(4 Posts)
StrawberryShortcake32 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:25:09

Needing some advice. Sleep wise I'm pretty much running on empty and on the verge of going insane.

My poor little boy is teething his back molars and won't sleep in his cot for more than an hour at a time since the teething started. Also getting him down in his cot has become a military exercise that takes hours to do.

He used to sleep between 4-6 hours at a time with the exception of growth spurts.

He only wants to sleep when he is being held and if by some miracle we do get him to sleep he wakes an hour later crying to be held and will fall asleep immediately when picked up.

I have a nursing chair and have occasionally been able to nod off with him in my arms in it but not always. I'm a really bad sleeper and can only sleep lying down. Plus I worry so much that he could fall off and hurt himself.
We've tried...
Hot water bottle in his bed to warm it up first
Putting him down when in a deep sleep - he wakes an hour later
Dummies - tried all the varieties under the sun, he won't take one.
Calpol, bonjela, ibuprofen and teething granules. Some allow him to sleep but he still wakes an hour later
Tucking him in tight so he still thinks he's being held
Co sleeping in bed - won't sleep next to me as he's realised he's been put down. Can't sleep on me as I can't lay down and hold him as he could potentially wriggle off.
Food- he refused it and basically just wants to be held.

If anyone has any suggestions as to anything that we haven't tried that's worked for them I'd really appreciate it. It's not getting him to sleep that's the problem, it's getting him to stay asleep or to be able to soothe himself when he wakes an hour after being put down.

QuiteLikely5 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:29:15

The key is to persist in shush patting him once he wakes - no need to pick him up - just keep soothing him with your hand on tummy/cheek etc

I know your instinct is to pick up and cuddle, which is very natural btw but if you want to stop it then do by gently patting him.

Fakehungarian Sat 11-Feb-17 22:07:26

No advice on afraid, just wanted to send my sympathy! Sounds exhausting! I hope the phase ends soon! Hugs.

Oysterbabe Sun 12-Feb-17 14:22:11

Back molars at 4 months?! Poor thing sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: