Talk

Advanced search

biting

(6 Posts)
jacksma Tue 27-Feb-07 20:10:47

Help, I really need some advice. My 16 month old ds has started biting (quite painful as he has no inhibitions when sinking his teeth in). Every time he does it, which is often, i pull him away from me, say "no, do not bite, it hurts" very firmly after which he laughs and does it again - and so we go on. I really don't know what I should do about this - he does not do it when he is cross or annoyed - I think he thinks it is affectionate!!! I have been advised to either smack him or put him in his cot for 1/2 an hour but I am not up for smacking and I don't want his cot to become a punishment area (it took too long to get him to sleep through the night in it).

Any tips would be very gratefully received.

luciemule Tue 27-Feb-07 20:23:11

My friend's little boy did this at a similar age and she told me she bit him back! She did say it worked. I'm not so sure - you'd have to be careful they didn't think it was acceptable because you did it.
When my DS started doing it a few months ago (he's now 2), I just picked him up in a very matter-of-a-fact way and stood him facing away from me and said "I do not want to speak to you or look at you". It worked as he hated being ignored and had a very sheepish look on his face as I told him off. Then after a minute or so, I asked him if he wanted to say sorry for biting me. He nearly always said "yes" and when he didn't, I'd make him stand there for longer. As his behaviour got worse (terrible two's) I now use the naughty bench and it works. Sometimes when he's been naughty, he takes himself off to the bench!

mumtogusnalbie Tue 27-Feb-07 20:26:39

I was absolutely horrified when my DS2 started biting - he was a similar age to your DS. All the literature I read on this recommended ignoring the biter and giving the attention to the person who had been bitten (although this won't really work if it is only you he is biting!). As he got a bit older I used the naughty step (still in use now) but he did grow out of it at about 2.5. Good Luck

CaptainCaveman Tue 27-Feb-07 20:29:23

Ds was awful with biting - he went through a couple of phases, first when he was about 11 months, then again when he was about 15 months. He used to make me squeal it hurt so much!
Eventually got round it by putting him down and ignoring him (after telling him it was naughty, it hurt and mummy didn't like it). I think the key for me was -
1. Telling him it was naughty, it hurt and mummy didn't like it.
2. Equally important - putting him down and refusing to pick him up for 1 minute.

Seems like a long time ago now.....

Good luck!

puzzler Tue 27-Feb-07 20:29:47

NO, don't bite him back . If you do that how is he going to know it's wrong???

jacksma Tue 27-Feb-07 22:01:21

Thank you captain caveman that is precisely what I will do, though generally when I put him down he just sinks his teeth into my leg, aaargh...However I will pesist as it is really a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now