Talk

Advanced search

Tips to help inconsolable baby settle when I'm not there

(5 Posts)
worrierandwine Thu 09-Feb-17 01:14:54

I know I'll be laughed at for this - I know sometimes babies don't settle but I guess I'm just looking for reassurance it will get better. First day back at work today, 9 month old DD2 goes to my mums and all good until 4pm when she started having one of her meltdowns. Mum said she couldn't pacify her at all. She does this for DH too though and like a lot of babies and children, wants her mum when she's upset. I have been reluctant to leave her with anyone in the past because of this so she's only really been left for a couple of hours at a time until today. This won't have helped but to be fair, I'm not sure this would have made any difference as when she's decided she's having a meltdown, she's having a meltdown! I've advised to try taking her for a walk in the buggy or give her a bath if the same thing happens tomorrow.
I'm not comparing her to DD1 but I think we were spoiled with her as she wasn't a "meltdown" baby, just never did it so I never had to worry about her in that respect.
Please tell me she'll eventually get used to being left and I'm obsessing for no reason (a favourite pastime of mine grin).

JohnLapsleyParlabane Thu 09-Feb-17 01:26:06

Leave something that smells of you with baby. I usually leave a scarf so that whoever has DD can put it on.

worrierandwine Thu 09-Feb-17 01:47:20

Yes I thought of that, thanks for reminding me Johnlapsley I'll try that too.

Pipsicola Thu 09-Feb-17 18:44:33

You won't get laughed at - it's not being precious to worry about your little one. As with most things it will pass - it's a big change from having mummy all the time to not. It's the time for separation anxiety too.

I probably don't have much practical advice to help at the moment though. However I'd try to ensure you get some good quality time with her when you can do that she can be reassured and feel loved. The item of yours is a good idea. I don't know if she has become attached to a soft toy or comforter yet (probably a bit young) but in the longer term if she could transfer some of her 'mummy comfort' to something like that, that might help also.

worrierandwine Thu 09-Feb-17 20:07:06

Thanks pipsicola, she's been a bit better today (thank goodness) no major meltdowns! I do actually think she's got a front tooth on the way so she's actually done really well as normally she just wants to feed for comfort when she's teething. Just one more day then the first week is done. To say the longest she had been left prior to this was 2 hrs we've done well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now