Talk

Advanced search

10 month old wakes 5-7 times a night

(8 Posts)
thundernlightning Wed 08-Feb-17 23:46:39

And I will do anything to fix this. He used to sleep really well, then in November things went off the rails. He's 10 months now, has been freely walking since last month and is 97 percentile for size and weight. I'm sure some of it is teething/growing pains/development, but isn't there something I can do? I had food poisoning on the weekend and I'm utterly shattered.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 09-Feb-17 08:56:52

What happens when he wakes now thunder?

Andywho Thu 09-Feb-17 09:04:45

For 18 months my boy did that some baby do. Tried everything from controlled crying to soft music alas he grew out of it , and we learned to take our naps when we could to catch up on sleep.

thundernlightning Thu 09-Feb-17 14:42:49

Hi Jilted, if he doesn't get the boob it's screamfest 2016, though sometimes it's screamfest 2016 anyway. DH will sometimes be able to get him to sleep with walking but at 26lbs it can get tiring fast. I strongly suspect growing pains or separation anxiety.

Andy, yikes! I don't think I could take 8 more months of this. I'm back at work PT!

thundernlightning Thu 09-Feb-17 15:33:23

Oh, just to add, he naps decently well (1.5 hrs x 2 a day), has a good bedtime routine (bed's at 7pm) and goes down really well usually. And then… and then all bets are off.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 09-Feb-17 18:30:44

Have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution thunder. Wouldn't say it stopped DS from waking but at least it stopped some of the night waking.

If you want to read a couple of articles, try 12 alternatives for the all night nurser and 6 ways to get baby to sleep through the night.

thundernlightning Thu 09-Feb-17 19:46:04

Oh thank you Jilted! I haven't seen those before. I'll read all of that the minute I can brain enough to read!

littlemummyfoofoo Sun 12-Feb-17 12:47:23

hey I'm a ftm and my 10month old regularly wakes anything from twice to 7 or more times a night. He also can sleep 2-4 hours a day in 1 to 3 hr stints..at the moment I have no way of knowing if he'll do them morning or night. i generally let him nap on my boob during the day... ive accepted this and sleep or do admin (read mumsnet) while he sleeps. I have done a lot of research about sleep patterns and what is considered normal here and around the world. My conclusion was that by 18/24 months babies generally have similar sleep patterns. .whether you let them cry out/sleep on you or give them dummy. I went for this option after talking it though with my hubby. With one baby its easier. The idea of sleeping through has become a thing as women want to go back to work and get a good night's sleep (and of course that's fine). The issue is babies don't sleep through for ever they do it for a while, in spurts. Some formula fed babies are more likely to sleep longer as breast milk is digested quicker. I'm in the combo camp and according to research we get the least sleep. Babies who roll/walk/speak/ get sick and who get lots of teeth earlier also have more disturbed sleep. Unfortunately for me my lo hits most of the those marks. He has slept through and still does occasionally but not everyday. So rather than stressing I listened to my sister who has 4 kids. A good bed time routine same time same markers... always make sure they go to bed in their cot but after that comfort them then put them back however many times you feel is appropriate. .then let them sleep on you...lo is asleep by halfway through a certain book then goes in the cot. lo is used to waking up in the cot - lo doesn't cry in a distressed way just let's me know babies awake - I go straight away and there is no stress. lo smiles and cuddles when I pick lo up. boob/bottle/sleep cot. I know it's against the experts but my baby is so happy never tantrums is happy to be looked after. lo is more clingy when sick. as a SAHM I'm aware I'm lucky. My mum and my MIL think I'm going to end up with a baby who isn't independent. .. will only sleep in my bed...but when he has slept through he wakes up happy and shouts in a non stressed way for attention! My sister reckons over time things will just be ok and he'll gradually just get used to being in bed longer and won't be hungry during the night. the rest of his behaviour suggests this as there are more frequent days where he wakes up less. also his daytime behaviour is great..likes other people, doesn't get stressed when I'm not there for 2/3 hours just gives me a hug on my return... so I think it's working for me. I've taken away my expectations of what normal sleep patterns should be and I'm far less stressed x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now