loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toddler with leg pains

(10 Posts)
mrsjlb1986 Tue 07-Feb-17 17:41:47

Hi

I'm very new to this.

So about a year ago my then 18 month old was waking in the night and crying to which we thought was night terrors, this went on for 6/7 months. Health visitors thought it to be night terrors too.

However, since my little man has got a big bigger he wakes in the night telling me that his knees or toes are hurting he just cries and cries and cries this happens about 4 nights a week (he's now 32 months old) I mentioned this at his 2 half year review back in November and they said they would refer him to physio.

Has anyone been through the same. I feel like I've had a newborn baby for 32 months and am utterly exhausted. I have no idea what these pains are and they only seem to happen at night.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 07-Feb-17 20:44:50

Has he had any physio yet? If not, I'd be tempted to film him when he wakes and book an appointment with the GP. Good luck thanks

PassTheCremeEggs Tue 07-Feb-17 20:52:33

Could it be growing pains? Possibly a bit early for them though. One of my children gets them and wakes screaming about her legs hurting - GP said growing pains. Started at around 2.5 and she still gets them occasionally now but much less regularly

mrsjlb1986 Tue 07-Feb-17 22:06:01

No still waiting for physio, although when I chased the referral the health visitor took 5 weeks just to get it done. :-( rubbish

mrsjlb1986 Tue 07-Feb-17 22:07:41

We thought growing pains but the health visitor didn't seem to think so, I'm going to see the GP and see what he says, he was a late walker and very clumsy- not sure if that could be related in any way!

mrsjlb1986 Tue 07-Feb-17 22:08:52

How old is your child now? We've had this for a year now sad

Jesterstolehisthornycrown1 Tue 07-Feb-17 23:48:09

Mrsjlb, my son used to wake screaming at night with leg and foot pains. Does your dc say exactly where the pain is? My ds has hyper mobility joint syndrome.the pains were in his knees and the bottom of his feet and as he's got older he gets pains in his arms too. He was diagnosed aged 3.

mrsjlb1986 Wed 08-Feb-17 12:21:43

Jesterstolehisthornycrown1

Ah ok, I did read about hyper mobility, how long has your son had it now? I take it that it isnt something that goes away? How is it treated?
I have an appt with GP next Saturday as I'm tired of waiting for this Physio appt. I've only ever seen the health visting team so now I'm trying the GP.

He says the pains are in his knees (both) and sometimes in his toes. Up to 4 nights a week.

He struggles with stairs unlike other toddlers his age, he is also very clumsy, he knocked his front tooth out in October from going down a baby slide :-/ he worries me to death.

On top of this he has asthma and a cold so we are literally having no sleep what so ever.

Your comments are much appreicated

mrsjlb1986 Wed 08-Feb-17 12:25:29

He has also dislocated his elbow twice in the last 11 months so wondering if this all could be related somehow?

corythatwas Thu 09-Feb-17 08:00:18

This all sounds like hypermobility: the pains, the clumsiness, the late walking, the dislocations.

In which case, no it's not something that goes away- it's to do with the chemical make-up of your soft tissue and is often genetic.

But you can do a lot to counteract the pains by strengthening his joints and supportive shoes can do a lot for the ankle pains. Get him checked out at once. It will be useful to have it on his record in case he needs any support at school, e.g. with writing or PE.

Hypermobility syndrome is not equally severe in everybody, it is usually at its worst when you're growing, and it doesn't affect the same joints in different people. My dd has a lot of back and hip trouble, I only really have trouble with my wrists and finger joints, which isn't too much of a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now