Talk

Advanced search

Worried about the [under] weight of my 3.8 ds

(10 Posts)
99redballoons Tue 27-Feb-07 13:59:44

Ds isn't under weight, not that I know how much he weighs even!, as his Dad is tall and thin and I think ds has his build. However, I can't help but think I wish he had a bit more meat on his bones. Unfortunately whenever he is ill, which is not that often, he doesn't eat for 3-4 days except the bare minimum, and seems to lose all his reserves just like that, and doesn't seem to put anything back on again.

We try to eat healthily, mostly home cooked meals, he has a good breakfast (2-3 pieces of toast or toast and cereal), a good snack at nursery (banana, grapes, breadsticks, biscuit), an avg lunch (sandwich, fruit, biscuit or homemade cake) and an avg dinner (usually homecooked, gets through 1/2-3/4 of the plate given to him, then yoghurt and pudding). He sometimes gets a snack in the afternoon (more fruit or toast or something). I have only given him an afternooon snack if he asks for one as I sometimes wonder if he doesn't eat all of his dinner because of the snack, but he still doesn't seem to eat all of his dinner on days he doesn't have a snack iykwim! He has a cup of full fat milk twice a day.

We do have treats in the week, like crisps, crackers, chocolate etc. but all in moderation.

I don't know if this is just his build and eats to his means or if I'm not offering him enough in the day or should be offering more fatty foods to build up a store?

I really don't know if I'm worrying about nothing, it's not like you can see his ribs, but you almost can. He looks slim and perfectly proportioned, but especially when I look at my plump 16mo dd I just wish he had a little bit more on him.

Bozza Tue 27-Feb-07 14:03:09

Firstly though, you really can't compare a 3.8 yo with a 16mo. The vast majority have totally different figures. Have you tried to offer healthyish but fatty foods like peanut butter, hummus, cheese, cheese sauce, rice pudding made with added cream etc?

99redballoons Tue 27-Feb-07 14:09:08

Ah yes, forgot to say he eats alot of cheese with his lunch too.

We have houmus occaisionally (which he loves), so may get that in more often. Hadn't thought of peanut butter. Will try that too. Doesn't like rice pudding, fussy thing. Cheese sauce is a good idea too. ThankS!!!

But do they eat to their means or should we try to make sure they have a little reserve on them?

(wasn't really comparing to my dd, but when they're in the bath together he looks noticeably scrawny)

Bozza Tue 27-Feb-07 14:14:26

My DS has just turned 6 and for a while (2 years?) has looked very skinny, although not more than his friends. In DS's case he is big boned and has these big knees and shoulder blades sticking out. But IMO he eats well and substantially. I am surprised that you feel like this when you can't see his ribs, DS's have been visible for ages, and DD (2.9) has several on view above her pot belly.

Difficult to answer your last q. I think to an extent you have to accept that he is the way he is, but also recognise that children do not need what we see as an adult, low fat diet. How is he in himself - mood, energy, acivity etc?

<< bozza gives a copout answer then turns the question back - I could make a politician yet >>

99redballoons Tue 27-Feb-07 14:34:10

He is fine in himself, very active. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, and I guess I'm over-sensitive to it as he was ill two weekends ago and didn't eat anything for four days.

You can see the bottom ribs and an occasional other one, but not all, was what I was meaning. He definitely doesn't have a pot belly and if anything never looks like he's full.

I guess you just worry as being 'mum' you're the one that provides his food, and even though it's a healthy diet, I wonder if it's balanced and I'm giving him enough fat, as his main snacks are fruit. But you have reminded me about other healthy more-fatty snacks, and maybe that's what I need to concentrate on giving him a little more of (cos all our dinners are very lean as dh & I need it that way!).

Thanks for the help and reminding me to be less neurotic!

sunnysideup Tue 27-Feb-07 14:39:19

He sounds very similar to my 4 yr old, I know exactly what you mean about wishing they had a bit more on them!

I agree with Bozza's ideas for good stuff, also when ds is ill or has not eaten much, I give him creamy cornish ice cream which he HOOVERS up and which is very fatty, and I think that can't be a bad thing for a skinny string bean of a boy. He's pretty much guaranteed to eat it however poorly he is too.

Aloha Tue 27-Feb-07 14:42:38

They are supposed to be skinny at that age. It's healthy and normal. My ds isn't, but that's because he's dyspraxic and can't really run around like most children.

99redballoons Tue 27-Feb-07 15:18:20

Yes, the icecream will go down well with ds too!

I guess when it's your eldest you've nothing to compare to and all his friends are more stocky and filled out than him, or atleast they appear to be..

Thx again. Will stop worrying and get on with sorting some healthy fatty snacks out for him (and dd).

IdrisTheDragon Tue 27-Feb-07 15:21:37

DS is 3.2 and has always been on the skinny side. DD who is 17 months has always not been on the skinny side. Sometimes I feel that DS is a bit thin, buit both DH and I used to be thin when we were younger so I'm not really worried.

He has plenty of energy though .

Bozza Tue 27-Feb-07 15:28:22

DD only has the pot belly because she is 2 and a girl. At 3.8 DS had nothing like that. I serve fruit and ice-cream as a pudding quite often so maybe you would feel less guilty that way. And quite often for a snack they get a chunk of cheese and some fruit. I do find it difficult balancing what DH and I need as a diet, and what the DCs need and trying to ensure we eat a meal together....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now