Talk

Advanced search

discouraging 2 year old from saying certain words??

(15 Posts)
hana Mon 26-Feb-07 23:38:22

need some help with this one
have v fiesty 25 month old who takes great delight and pleasure at saying 'you naughty girl' 'you stupid girl' or combination of the two to either of her sisters, people that are in the house, me, her dolls, when she's playing - she says it A LOT.
I know she understands 'naughty' - but not stupid. When she says it I say v clearly to her that they are not nice words and we don't use those words, and put her on the bottom step for a short time. She will sit there (great big pout) but then does it all over again

any words of wisdom out there? It's been going on for a good week. My 5 year old knows not to say these things - and tells me everytime when her sister does - I've told her to ignore it, is that the thing to do? and god knows where she heard it from

thanks mnetters

wotzsaname Mon 26-Feb-07 23:46:22

It is late and I cant give good advice this late, so maybe you can bump for day time advice. It doesn't sound out of the ordinary for ages mentioned, so dont worry too much.

hana Mon 26-Feb-07 23:48:57

yes, think I will bump ( just waiting to feed dd3 before I go to bed!)
it is fairly normal I hope, I just didn't have to deal with it from dd1 and don't want to get caught in a trap where she keeps saying it b/c of the reaction it gets
thanks

Aloha Mon 26-Feb-07 23:53:05

I'd try to ignore it whenever possible. She's getting a rise out of you, and her sister is loving dobbing her in over it (love that phrase btw) and they are both getting lots of your attention because of it. She mustn't call adult visitors any of those things and I would be cross, but I don't think you should interfere in what she calls her dolls.

wotzsaname Mon 26-Feb-07 23:54:16

I agree that getting a reaction might be the thing she wants. I wouldnt do the naughty step for this, but ignor it and change the subject so she gets your attention another way.

Sounds like you have your hand full.

hana Mon 26-Feb-07 23:58:05

thanks you 2
I've been doing the naughty step less and less b/c I think she's just in a habit of saying it - and tell dd1 to ignore, but do you think that dd1 might think that her sister can say what she wants and won't get into trouble?
oh god, need to go to bed and forget about these dds of mine I think, for a few hours at least! will bump for am crew,
thanks again
zzzzzz

Aloha Tue 27-Feb-07 00:01:26

When dd (two) is being provocative and teasing ds I say to ds (5) 'oh, we'll just have to ignore her when she's being so silly, won't we', and he feels thrilled to be so grown up.

nearlyfourbob Tue 27-Feb-07 00:09:19

I left a zoo and took ds home because he called his granny an "idiot moron" funnily enough he hasn't used those words since.

hana Tue 27-Feb-07 12:21:59

just wanted to bump this for the morning, oops afternoon crew

Sugarmagnolia Tue 27-Feb-07 18:53:30

At that age if you ignore it and she doesn't hear it again she's likely to forget about it.

fryalot Tue 27-Feb-07 18:55:57

I had this with dd1 (although the words were much, much worse). I was advised to just totally ignore it, which is difficult when a very small child is swearing in the supermarket (she didn't pick it up from me, btw) but I ignored it and it didn't take very long for her to stop. She is now 13 and very occasionally uses bad language - her punishment now is not to talk at all for 30 minutes for each swear word.

colander Tue 27-Feb-07 19:11:22

Echoing what others have said, but ignore ignore ignore. DD1 used to say "bum", "bogey" and, my personal favourite, "oh my god and oh my lord where you got that from". It did stop very quickly once I stopped reacting and started ignoring.

Spidermama Tue 27-Feb-07 19:12:42

My 24 month old says something which is supposed to resemble 'Naughty Mummy' when I don't, say, sprint to the biscuit tim the second he demands a biscuit.

sunnysideup Tue 27-Feb-07 19:19:46

I think it's ignore ignore, as most have said already but I wanted to echo Aloha's point about involving your older dd in the ignoring, so that she feels grown up and a 'team' with you, rather than feeling "why is dds getting away with that and mum's doing nothing?" Definitely include her by following the approach aloha suggested.

I'm sure that would knock it on the head.

hana Wed 28-Feb-07 12:41:45

thanks everyone for your tips...will speak to dd1 about being grown up about it etc etc
and fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now