Talk

Advanced search

Sudden accidents in potty trained a year ago 3+4 yr old

(4 Posts)
DrizzleHair Thu 02-Feb-17 17:06:35

Reposting here as not much traffic in Potty Training:

Potty trained DD at 2+3, a year ago. Went textbook. A few accidents early on but mainly wee. Within a month or 2 she was pretty reliable, very few accidents and no poo ones at all.

Now at 3+4 she's suddenly started having regular wee accidents and now pooing herself too. From not a single poo accident in 10 or 11 months since training, she's done about 5 in the last fortnight.

Any ideas what this is all about?

There are some changes afoot, I'm 5 months pregnant plus we moved house last summer. But she's known about pregnancy for 2 months, and house move was ages ago!

It's like she's got lazy and stopped listening out for her inner poo voice. Or maybe she's just really engrossed in play at the moment so ignores the early warning signs. She does have a great imagination and play intensely with various toys.

So what can I do? So far I've been pretty chilled and said 'oops, that's a shame', and asked her to try and pay attention to her body more next time. I don't want to punish her.

Help!

Willothewhip Thu 02-Feb-17 22:27:39

My DD went through this about 6 months ago (she's just turned 4). She was wetting herself multiple times a day. I tried everything: bribing, cajoling, threatening, punishing, but nothing worked. Then one day she just stopped doing it. I now think it was some developmental stage she was going through as there were no major changes in her life to speak of. HTH

Willothewhip Thu 02-Feb-17 22:30:03

P.S. Your comments about being engrossed in play ring a bell. I think this may definitely have been a factor for my DD

user1471554921 Sun 05-Feb-17 08:23:41

My nearly 4 year old is a bit like this too. He has been toilet trained for over a year. No accidents, dry at night. But in the last few months he has come home from nursery a few days with wet trousers. When I spoke to the girls in nursery about it, they said it was very common at this age. If they have a toy that they really like they don't want to go to the toilet in case someone else takes it while they are gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now