Talk

Advanced search

Im annoyed and doubting my parenting!

(15 Posts)
Louiseg41980 Thu 02-Feb-17 16:21:48

Hello i dont normally write on here but here goes.
My 5 year old had a clinician appointment this afternoon because of the time i had to take him and his 6 year old brother out of school.
So at his appointment he needed to be assessed alone whilst i waited in the waiting room with my 6 year old my 4 year old and my 1 year old sleeping baby.
I had been given a worksheet to fill in and hand back so i told my 4 and 6 year olds to sit or play with the toys.
Anyway after a few minutes the receptionist asked me to basically sit them down and keep them quiet as there were appointments going on. Now i know kids can be kids but they werent at all loud or dissruptive just children in an extremely empty and quiet reception area. Anyway i asked them to sit either side of me just to shut her up.
So after approx 15mins or so they had been so good and sat still but i knew that if i didnt move them they would get bored i moved to a seating area closer to where my son was and again they were good as gold.
Now ive got a really bad cold and had been going through tissues so wanted a bin my eldest said i will take them mummy and i not wanting him to have a hand full of my snotty tissues said its ok u go and find me a bin so i can throw them away.
So off he trotted closely followed by my 4 year old. I watched them as they had to pass reception and they both came straight back to me but i heard the women shout sit down.
As they got to me my eldest was looking well wondering y she had said that, he told me he had found a bin so i went to it.
As i got to it she said can you sit them down as they were running about.
Now i said calm down they were looking for a bin for me to put some rubbish in and she proceeded to berate them saying they were causing a disturbance. I said there was no law as far as i knew off against children looking for a bin she said they were running again i said there was no sign up saying children must not run ( i say run but they were not hurtling about the place just fast walk) she then decided to get another elderly patient involved and say they were running to which i responded what harm have they done you are over exagerating things and need to calm down.
I stopped her at that point and went back down the corridor.
Now im really annoyed they were not at all loud or causing problems and its making me doubt myself slightly all the while the baby slept.

lljkk Thu 02-Feb-17 20:51:30

Sometimes people are shitrags. This is not your fault. You could complain, but that means reliving it all & arguing about what happened.

I gather you're a single parent or the other parent is away?

Louiseg41980 Thu 02-Feb-17 21:20:16

I told my husband when he got home from work and drove straight round to the clinic he was told they do not have a complaints procedure but he has e mailed a complaint to the local nhs which covers the site.
Like I said I don't normally write on here and my kids are generally very good, I was just so annoyed at the unnecessary situation.

Floggingmolly Thu 02-Feb-17 21:25:38

Your DH drove straight round there to complain because your kids were told to stop running in a hospital setting?
You are both extremely highly strung hmm.

DearMrDilkington Thu 02-Feb-17 21:31:46

You said the waiting room was empty but then said an elderly lady got dragged into the argument(?!), who also agreed they were running..

If your dh was that upset over the incident, why didn't he just book the day off work so you could go to the appointment on your own?

Zippidydoodah Thu 02-Feb-17 21:42:49

Why did your five year old have to have an assessment on his own?

Sorry, that's nosey of me.

I would probably put a complaint in writing to the practice manager, if you're absolutely sure the receptionist was wrong? Though I'm not sure what they can do about it?

Louiseg41980 Thu 02-Feb-17 21:53:26

Ok so as I moved to seating up the corridor another person came in to reception and it was not a hospital and they were not running more fast walking to the bin.
I'm sure nothing would come of a complaint.

Sweets101 Thu 02-Feb-17 21:57:12

I don't think from what you've written your DC (or you) did anything wrong. I do think your DH overreacted. Why did he do that?

Louiseg41980 Fri 03-Feb-17 06:57:03

He was just annoyed that she had, had a go at the kids.

LivininaBox Sat 04-Feb-17 21:14:30

Well it was unprofessional and wrong for her to shout at your kids. And also unrealistic to expect kids to be completely quiet in a waiting area. Not unreasonable to ask you to stop them running (though you say they weren't running).

Louiseg41980 Sat 04-Feb-17 22:33:34

Hi yes she was so unprofessional thats y i was so annoyed and it was the way she spoke to them. I have never had any issues with my children being loud or causing a disturbance previous to this over reaction and no i wouldnt have minded (if the situation had waramted it) had she spoke directly to me in a more reasonable manner however she had made a situation out of nothing. Believe me had my kids been being unruly i would have been the first and only one necesary to chastise them however there was no need in this case as they had done nothing wrong.

Floggingmolly Sat 04-Feb-17 23:14:29

But why did your husband go steaming round to complain? You've got a mouth of your own, and you were actually there? Why couldn't you speak for yourself, if you felt your kids were being wronged by being told to sit down?
Your lives must be a constant frenzy of stress, all of your own making....

Louiseg41980 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:25:37

The kids were getting distressed wouldnt want to have a face off with an over zealous employee and upset them. Plus i had said my bit.

Floggingmolly Sat 04-Feb-17 23:26:46

Then that should have been the end of it.

4yoniD Sat 04-Feb-17 23:33:21

Part of me thinks it's odd your partner rushed over to complain, part of me loves him for his protectiveness and taking care of you smile sorry op - realize that's not what you asked. In my experience, surgery receptionists are often sub contracted from Satan, and we will all be judged by numpties with regards our parenting. You had the misfortune to have these two combined into a double hit. Try to channel Elsa - let it go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now