Talk

Advanced search

3.5 year old DD telling me what to say

(13 Posts)
Peopleplease Thu 02-Feb-17 09:32:09

Just wondering if this is a normal thing. DD is constantly telling me what to say! Sometimes it's to do with her baby sister "mommy say X your big sister loves you, say look x your big sister is eating her porridge etc

Sometimes it's when she's playing, I'm constantly being told to be the voice of her toys and being told exactly what to say.

She gets annoyed if I deviate from the script!!

She just has a baby sister and goes to pre-school 3 afternoons a week.

littlewoodentrike Thu 02-Feb-17 09:34:13

I'm hoping it's normal as my DD went through the same phase at the same age! Also had a new baby at the same time, and I was forever being told to 'do his voice'! It drove me mad, but looking back it was quite sweet (and she doesn't do it anymore, age 5).

Haggisfish Thu 02-Feb-17 09:35:37

Gosh yes. Dd still dictates scripts to us at 6, although less frequently. I think it's how they practise scenarios and reactions. We used to try and use them to show good reactions and emotions etc.

NorksAreMessy Thu 02-Feb-17 09:36:12

my take would be...

'She has just had a baby sister' is the crux of this.
She needs to be in control of some part of her life, and telling you what to say is her funny way of doing it.
As the baby grows and she feels more secure (that the baby isn't a replacement for her) this will stop.

Funny little things aren't they?

PotatoWaffleCob Thu 02-Feb-17 09:38:25

Yes! We're just starting this too. It's normal (I hope...).

highlandholiday Thu 02-Feb-17 09:39:18

My dd used to do this too! He's nearly 5 now and very rarely does it anymore.
It used to really wind me up when he wanted me to say things that were wrong. 'No mummy-you say 'look at that robin' (it was a pigeon) but I think (hope) it's fairly normal!

mikado1 Thu 02-Feb-17 09:40:17

Scripted to the hilt here still, 4.5: 'Pretend you say come back here, now pretend....' and on and on!!!

highlandholiday Thu 02-Feb-17 09:41:16

Actually you've reminded me-this is how he plays with his sister (7) and cousin (6). There's a lot of 'now you say ... And I'll say ... And we'll do ...'

deai Thu 02-Feb-17 09:41:23

Yep my 3 year old does this too.

MarjorySunshineDust Thu 02-Feb-17 09:43:04

My dd1 is the same age and does this! She also has a new baby sister but was doing it before she arrived.

BreatheDeep Thu 02-Feb-17 09:43:25

Yep, here too. Has a meltdown if I say the wrong thing or the wrong person joins in!

WinnieFosterTether Thu 02-Feb-17 09:43:28

DS did this all the time and he's an only child so not related to adjusting to a new sibling. I must admit I found it so irritating. 'Now you say this mummy, and put the doll here, and I will say 'x'' and on and on and on. He would get annoyed if I said even one word different. 'No, that's wrong, mummy. Say it like this 'x' ' grin

Peopleplease Thu 02-Feb-17 10:15:05

I'm so glad it's not just me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now