Talk

Advanced search

2.5 year old referred to speach therapist 'chatterbox group' - anyone else had this?

(4 Posts)
Monkeytrousers Mon 26-Feb-07 15:16:50

DS speaks in compound phrases rather than 5-6 word sentences. He understands a lot and often seems to be speaking long sentences, we just can't quite understand what it is he's saying - exactly. He's a happy, communicative boy otherwise, very social but doesn't go to nursery yet and only started going to toddler groups last summer.

Should I be worried?

nogoes Mon 26-Feb-07 15:39:10

My two neices were both like this, they are a year apart and no one could understand very much of what they were saying. They were referred to a speech therapist but within a term of starting school both of them were speaking perfectly.

piglit Mon 26-Feb-07 15:41:54

I'm the only one who understands my ds1 (2.3). He gibbers on and on in his own way and although I understand him, no one else seems to. I'm not worried about it - he's bright and understands everything so I'm sure he'll get there in the end.

expatinscotland Mon 26-Feb-07 15:44:59

Not necessarily.

DD1's going to SALT, but she has other issues in addition to her speech, like motor skills delays and other neurological delays, as she is, like her dad, uncle and granddad, dyspraxic.

If this is his only issue, and he's been referred, see how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now