Talk

Advanced search

18 month old becoming violent, need advice!

(7 Posts)
jumbledmind Mon 30-Jan-17 16:34:55

I'm at my wits end, my 18 month old dc has always had terrible tantrums since i can remember, ds was always a perfect baby, hardly cried was soothed easy ect ect. But a few months back he started having these terrible tantrums over anything and everything. He wasn't allowed to go near the cooker, he wasn't allowed to go near plugs, his not allowed to have my phone. I've tried buying him a toy phone but he screams because he stills wants mine.
Recently i was on the phone to his swimming instructor and he became hysterical because i wouldn't allow him to talk, i tried soothing him and then he bite me. I told him it was wrong and is not nice so he then slapped me twice around my face and laughed. If he doesn't get his own way he throws anything he can get his hands old, its being to worry me now as i have absolutely no idea where this behaviour came from. I know this is not normal behaviour and could really do with some advice. Tia

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 30-Jan-17 19:52:00

How's his language jumbled and what do you do when he bites?

jumbledmind Mon 30-Jan-17 20:40:50

his language is great, in fact i believe his quiet forward for his age in speech. When he bite me, i told him how it hurts and that its not nice to hurt people i also explained that if he was sad or angry it's ok to show but to hurt anyone is wrong, he just giggled and then continued with his day.

Crumbs1 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:42:16

Sounds quite normal to me. Just at age where he realises he has a will of his own separate to you. Firm "No". Put him down on floor and let him scream it out. Nearly time for a naughty step.

Sandsnake Mon 30-Jan-17 21:55:36

No real experience here as my first is only 14mo. However, I read somewhere that when younger toddlers bite / hurt someone you should firmly tell them 'no' and put them down / walk away from them. If there's someone else present they should lavish attention on the one who has been hurt ('oh dear, poor you, that looks sore' etc). That way the child doesn't get much in the way of attention and still a firm message that what they've done is wrong. DS had bitten a few times and when we've responded like that it seems to have bothered him far more than just being told off. As I said though, it's early days for us so may end up not working! Good luck with it all, toddlers are ridiculous.

TeaBelle Mon 30-Jan-17 21:59:17

When dd was younger (prior to 2) and hit, we showed her 'gentle hands' and gave loads of praise for positive interactions. Now I know when she is getting frustrated, and saying 'gentle hands' will often remind her. If not then she gets a firm 'no' and period of no attention (around 30 seconds) before I remind her and ask her to apologise and give a hug. Fun and games can't continuE until she has said sorry

spacebluebird Sun 05-Feb-17 00:29:56

I'm with TeaBelle. I also think that he is probably old enough to understand consequences such as, if you hit mummy again then [favourite toy] will go on top of the fridge until tomorrow. Once a few trucks have been confiscated they catch on. But follow through if you make the threat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now